+1

Thinking outside the WaterBox

Have a buddy doing his Waterbox right now. I have the thru hull myself. As much as I love that aftermarket water box sound, I'm thinking it would be hard to live with all the time. The drone is bad enough as it is with the thru hull. It got me thinking, why not do a butterfly valve. The image below is just for reference, not the actual butterfly valve for the job obviously. Imagine the valve taking the place of the baffle in the middle of the waterbox. The valve disk would have the same diameter holes as the OEM baffle. With the valve in the closed position you get the same sound as the OEM box. In the open position, loud as hell! You never know, maybe some MacGyver out there with some welding skills might take the ball and run with it.

Extra points for electric...

Jet Ski Brothers, are you reading this? LOL

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210227-222830_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	471754  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ShawnInFL; 02-27-2021 at 10:29 PM.

Lake Lion
    +1
    That won't make much of a difference. What will be effective is if you put another stanchion before the wall in the waterbox and use this valve like Captians Choice. You can even use boost reference to control the valve where it will be closed at low speed.
    Last edited by hotbutta; 03-03-2021 at 02:15 AM.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnInFL View Post
    Have a buddy doing his Waterbox right now. I have the thru hull myself. As much as I love that aftermarket water box sound, I'm thinking it would be hard to live with all the time. The drone is bad enough as it is with the thru hull. It got me thinking, why not do a butterfly valve. The image below is just for reference, not the actual butterfly valve for the job obviously. Imagine the valve taking the place of the baffle in the middle of the waterbox. The valve disk would have the same diameter holes as the OEM baffle. With the valve in the closed position you get the same sound as the OEM box. In the open position, loud as hell! You never know, maybe some MacGyver out there with some welding skills might take the ball and run with it.

Extra points for electric...

Jet Ski Brothers, are you reading this? LOL

They dont last long on a car. I cant see them lasting in a totally damp environment. It would only worth with a dual exhaust.

+1
    You can buy a Captains call Y with valve used. and plumb it. I have thought about it too ha.

Could use factory water box and exit on one side, and on side would allow you to skip waterbox all together and go to a through hull.
    Corsa Exhaust diverter.
    https://www.cpperformance.com/images.../270-81000.jpg

+1
    Having th best of both worlds would be pretty slick. Main reason I was thinking about the Valve in the box was ease of install for folks. It's gotta be hard to handle all day everyday. Especially long no wake zones.

+1
    I'll give a "B+" for outside box thinking ... however, I think it goes without saying that the waterbox/water-lock component is much more than just a noise-suppression device... it's a big heat-exchanger, literally the first place the super-heated exhaust fumes can really get some agitation time with coolant water spray. So just something to keep in-mind whenever one mods (or bypasses) the waterbox, that same mod should also address any potential compromise in heat-exchange function, in perhaps using more heat-tolerant and/or insulated components for the rest of the system.

+1
    I can handle B+ lol Admittedly, there's much I don't know or understand about the mechanics of the WaterBox. I remember seeing this photo on another post here on GH. This is why I was thinking if the baffle in the OEM was replaced by a disk in the middle of the OEM box with similar ports, one could achieve the best of both worlds. If I understand correctly, the Riva box is simply a smaller box with no ports or baffle, is that correct? If so, it would seem to be an option for the butterfly. That's what gave spark to the idea anyway.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8735.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	471824

+1
    Riva and TDR are both hollow jugs

Thread Information