Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    2007 VX110 upgrading impeller housing and wear ring

    Anyone have a recommendation for switching out the stock impeller housing and replacing with a new housing and wear ring set up.... seen a few on eBay but they all have mixed reviews.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    9,323
    +1
    2,351
    its an age old argument

    depends on venue and habits.

    in my market ( lake) beaching and sandbar groundings are common and that leads to expensive pump repairs due to granite ingestion

    switching to a plastic wear ring setup reduces damage to the impellers in the long run in this situation as the plastic ring takes the hit and isn't tragic to replace, typically the impeller can be cleaned up with a dremel

    in the open water market, I'd advise against, since sucking up some old tow rope or other debris could leave you stranded a mile or more from shore, and that puts you at considerable risk if you are riding solo

    if you do go plastic, be sure to get a couple of extra wear rings for your spares kit as its not typically an off the shelf parts and most repair shops won't stock them

    generally speaking, best to stick to stock, i offered the plastic setup to my customers spelling out the pros and cons. Then I sell them a sand anchor so they keep their skis off the beach

    our lake, when water is high is huge, and folks like to go off to the less traveled areas to camp and party

    opinions here vary so you'll find people supporting or denying either solution

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    its an age old argument

    depends on venue and habits.

    in my market ( lake) beaching and sandbar groundings are common and that leads to expensive pump repairs due to granite ingestion

    switching to a plastic wear ring setup reduces damage to the impellers in the long run in this situation as the plastic ring takes the hit and isn't tragic to replace, typically the impeller can be cleaned up with a dremel

    in the open water market, I'd advise against, since sucking up some old tow rope or other debris could leave you stranded a mile or more from shore, and that puts you at considerable risk if you are riding solo

    if you do go plastic, be sure to get a couple of extra wear rings for your spares kit as its not typically an off the shelf parts and most repair shops won't stock them

    generally speaking, best to stick to stock, i offered the plastic setup to my customers spelling out the pros and cons. Then I sell them a sand anchor so they keep their skis off the beach

    our lake, when water is high is huge, and folks like to go off to the less traveled areas to camp and party

    opinions here vary so you'll find people supporting or denying either solution
    Thanks nmpeter, always appreciate your input and advice.

    Iím in WA state so itís all fresh water lakes. Having said that Iím always pretty careful of riding off the beach making sure Iím in 2 to 3 feet of water and I donít beach my skis.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Thanks nmpeter, always appreciate your input and advice.

    Iím in WA state so itís all fresh water lakes. Having said that Iím always pretty careful of riding off the beach making sure Iím in 2 to 3 feet of water and I donít beach my skis.
    How often should you replace the bearings in the jet pump?

  5. #5
    TimeBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    1,242
    +1
    285
    That's great advice by Pete. The only other "Pro" I'd like to add is that the plastic wear ring comes slightly more thick, as I understand that is supposedly deliberate, as once installed, the impeller will bore/cut it's own perfect fit. I saw huge gains in hole-shot when switching from OEM to a brand-new plastic. That's been over 3 years ago, mind-you I don't ride like I stole-it everywhere I go.

    Now I did ingest (cough cough - "process") a partial clam's shell once, and that event still resulted in bending one of the trailing edge blades (likely when it caught up in the stator vines, a slight spiral scoring on the ring. To fix, I bent the blade back, and sanded the ring scratch, re-checked clearances and decided the ring is still fine for another year. That was 2 years ago and 180+ hours.
    "next" time the pump is out I'm going to drop a new one.


    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    How often should you replace the bearings in the jet pump?
    Looking in the service manual, there's nothing specific in the maintenance schedules on this. Impeller inspection every year.
    Therefore, bearings are just going to be addressed when needed/defective.

  6. +1 by:


  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    That's great advice by Pete. The only other "Pro" I'd like to add is that the plastic wear ring comes slightly more thick, as I understand that is supposedly deliberate, as once installed, the impeller will bore/cut it's own perfect fit. I saw huge gains in hole-shot when switching from OEM to a brand-new plastic. That's been over 3 years ago, mind-you I don't ride like I stole-it everywhere I go.

    Now I did ingest (cough cough - "process") a partial clam's shell once, and that event still resulted in bending one of the trailing edge blades (likely when it caught up in the stator vines, a slight spiral scoring on the ring. To fix, I bent the blade back, and sanded the ring scratch, re-checked clearances and decided the ring is still fine for another year. That was 2 years ago and 180+ hours.
    "next" time the pump is out I'm going to drop a new one.




    Looking in the service manual, there's nothing specific in the maintenance schedules on this. Impeller inspection every year.
    Therefore, bearings are just going to be addressed when needed/defective.
    Appreciate the input timebandit....... probably leaning towards the plastic wear ring. Which housing and wear ring did you use?

  8. #7
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    9,323
    +1
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Appreciate the input timebandit....... probably leaning towards the plastic wear ring. Which housing and wear ring did you use?
    I sold the Wsm housing as they had several warehouses then and I never had trouble getting a couple of spare rings so I could get my regulars back out on the water same day

    Those bastards are going to miss me this year. Our lake is bone dry/low and right now it looks like I may not open this season at all for mechanical work. Iíve got enough projects to keep me occupied at home. Water hasnít been this low since I moved here in 2008

    Iíll still do some keys but that looks like that will be as far as Iíll go until the water come up at least fifty feet

    Maybe Iíll post some pitiful pics next week

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I sold the Wsm housing as they had several warehouses then and I never had trouble getting a couple of spare rings so I could get my regulars back out on the water same day

    Those bastards are going to miss me this year. Our lake is bone dry/low and right now it looks like I may not open this season at all for mechanical work. Iíve got enough projects to keep me occupied at home. Water hasnít been this low since I moved here in 2008

    Iíll still do some keys but that looks like that will be as far as Iíll go until the water come up at least fifty feet

    Maybe Iíll post some pitiful pics next week
    Plenty of water in Lake Washington


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Impeller housing/wear ring
    By charliebizz98 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2016, 08:19 AM
  2. Wear Ring\Impeller Housing removal
    By Spi200 in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-22-2015, 06:55 AM
  3. Replace fairly new wear ring when upgrading impeller?
    By JeffStalone in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2015, 11:12 AM
  4. Impeller too small for wear ring housing
    By dittobell in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 07:16 PM
  5. FS impeller housing/wear ring
    By dhoad in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •