100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1

Broken Chain, No Warranty -Yami Stepped up and Dealer Failed Big Time

2015 Fx Ho 1.8L
    146 hours no warranty - stock.
    Buddy calls and says ski stopped out in the ocean , cranks but will not fire..
    Stop by a few days later and hook up a candoo - says etv and a few other errors- no help.
    Check comp - not good - pop off valve cover - Can see half a timing chain on the intake cam and no chain on exh cam--Doh.

I try to have buddy take ski to shop off this rock but he did not- took it to the only dealership in the Keys- He chose poorly -

Dealer tells them it will not be covered- request $600 to tear down ski.
    I tell them to pop off cam cover and send ecu to Yami..
    They run a compression check and find bad compression on 2 cyl.(so it did crank at the dealer)
    Then find chain is broke---yaaaaaa

2 Months later they get the ok to put new motor and Yami cleared the dealer for 8k to do the swap..

A few weeks later we get a call from dealer saying "motor mounts need to be replaced" ...
    Call and ask "are they broken or bad- did the rubber rotate?" - response "they don't look good"...
    Decline

2 weeks later get a call " new motor is in but it will not start and fuel pump is running anytime you hook up battery" ..

What they don't say is " It has no power to dash or security box or anything but fuel pump"

There solution they recommend " wiring harness must be bad- replace $1200 + labor"..
    Decline

Call dealer and explain to them wiring harnesses don't go bad in 2 months of non use and was working when they got hold of it(they did comp test), please have a senior tech take 30 minutes and look over the job or I will blast them on the internet- 2 day later "the harness must be bad you need to pay to replace it"
    Decline

Have the ski picked up (no bill - still will not crank), I stop by buddy house and within 8 minutes I find who ever removed motor, pulled 3 wires out of the earth ground plug.
    5 minutes later and a little jb weld , wiring harness is fixed ..

Hook up battery , fuel pump turns on then off..
    Bump start and dash comes up, hit starter and she fires up.
    My buddy starts doing cart wheels in the yard..Yahoo

This is same dealer who told another customer , when their (it was 2020 and the ski was 2019 with 300 hours)vx motor ripped all 4 motor mounts off and the motor moved 4 inches forward in the ski - "Ski must got water in it ruining the motor mounts and allowing the motor to move forward in ski" WWHHHAAATTTT

I replaced mounts ,replaced mid bearing, and rebuilt pump-the real reason the motor moved off the mount, because when the pump eats a rear bearing the prop and shaft are driven forward 4 inches , pushing midshaft forward, ripping motor mounts.
    I ask if Yami's official answer is "that motor mount fall apart when they get water on them?"
    After he sent them a copy of my invoice they refunded him...

Another customer got a quote to replace 1 motor in his twin 242AR 2007.
    17k to replace 1 motor...????

1.8L replaced for 8k
    Mr-1 replaced for 17k
    What - Now I will admit I dont know what these motors cost but that just sounds all kind of wrong..

Ok long rant over.
    Big Thanks to Yami for stepping up to fix their problems ...
    A Big Fuck You to the Keys dealer who had some hack remove this motor and rip wires out of the harness because he didn't push the locking tab down correctly before yanking on the wires, and trying to make the customer pay for something you messed up,,,, another great job...
    Ps I only used this place once back in 97 and they replaced a pump shoe and pump stuff and when I got it back it would not go more than 5 mph before sucking air and cavitating - Bad or No sealant - AArrrgghh
    Last edited by KEYZBUM; 02-25-2021 at 05:00 PM.

+1
    Wow! What a detailed story of a very bad dealer. Thank you for letting everyone know as it just may save someone else in the FL Keys area from extra dealership misery.

+1
    Glad you got it running!

I hope that you tell Yamaha of your experience. I would also suggest that you give the dealer some 'free advertising' here!

+1
    Its really sad with as much as we pay for these machines that someone would have an experience with a dealer like this.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Ya it sucks when a company's good intentions are shot to hell by a poorly run dealership .
    I put some other info in my post in Red .

Not putting names out there (but its not hard to figure out).
    I did get in touch with Yami Motor Corp, But they cant do or pressure them..
    All I asked for was an apology phone call from the owner to me and the ski owner and I would have let it die,, But Nope ..So Be It..

Thread Information