Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

+1
    Friends,

Here are a few photos of the mid-wall and theheadless bolts! Will try to remove these and fill the dents with epoxy andsilica.

If I may I have another question; I was looking inbuying a WSM complete housing, however they do not provide the thrust washerthat Yamaha recommends to have this replaced once removed, do you guys installthis? Is it needed?

On another note, do you happen to know the overall length of from end to end of the trim cable (the oem p/number F2S-6153E-00-00)?

I am changing the inner wire rope and need to press the ends my guess is that it’s around 126 inches from end to end... so if you happen to know the exact length this would save me the hassle to fit this in the ski to measure the needed length.

Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mid-wall1.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	471659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mid-wall2.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	471660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mid-wall3.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	471661  

+1
    It doesn’t look like they have any oil on them and I don’t understand “filling the dents” are you planning on just drilling new holes?

+1
    Have you tried giant Vice grips and turning them again? did you rip the heads off trying to un screw them?

The thrust washer can be slid on by hand.

+1
    HI,

Today I just took a couple of photos, I did not try to remove these yet.

First, I will try to grip them with a vice grip and remove these, if I won’t manage or they will shear I will remove the impregnated nuts fill the holes with epoxy and talc powder then re drill but first I want to try my luck and remove these.

Yes the bolt heads got ripped all three of them ☹,

Re the thrust washer so I must buy this off Yamaha oem right? As it WSM don’t supply this?

Will keep you posted

Thanks for the info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by micboy View Post
    . . . .
    If I may I have another question; I was looking in buying a WSM complete housing, however they do not provide the thrust washer that Yamaha recommends to have this replaced once removed, do you guys install this? Is it needed?
    . . . .
    Regards
    Yes, it is highly desired. It helps to protect the 2 aft-facing shaft seals from water-hammering abuse transmitted from the pump tunnel intake cavity.
    Like said already ... it can be slipped-on easily, and then slip the rubber cover over the washer. Just don't smash it totally up against the shaft seal where the shaft becomes hard to turn again AND make certain it is level - not warped/moving when spinning the shaft by hand. Hint: study and take pics of your old thrust washer for reference.

If the mid-wall nut inserts spin, you can cut them out from the aft side if the mid-wall (raised humps).
    When you get the new housing, get longer bolts to reach completely through to the aft mid-wall to install nylon lock-nuts and big washers.

+1
    Thanks TimeBandit!

Just what I had in mind doing if the nut insters spin! Now I need to deceide OEM,WSM or SBT! What do you suggest SBT can supply the IB complete with the thrust washer at 50% the price of a oem..

what do you think?

Tx

+1
    I bought a new housing and rebuilt it with new parts, and my old shaft. OEM on the one I did.

+1
    Hi,

So, progress so far!

Managed to remove the 3 M8 bolts safely
    OEM Parts arrived (IM Housing , Bearing, 2 – Circlips , and the seals)

Pressed all the seals as explained in the manual, paid close attention to the measurements and dept of each seal. All extremely close 0.03 (except the rear seal the one that the thrust washer rubs against the lip) manual suggested 1.6 (see below) I overshoot a bit now it’s sitting at 2mm; will this make a huge difference?

Now, I am a bit puzzled, with the thrust washer, I was under the impression that this is a sliding fit (ie it does not turn with the engine) Do I need to press this on? will it harm the mid-wall when turning? it's stopping on the yellow mark

Once I decide on the thrust washer I will then grease pack this via the grease nipple ( I am surprized that no grease will go through the bearing) as the grease hole is located between the bearing seal and the outer double lip seal. So the bearing will only have grease that I placed before assembly

Let me know re the washer please ...

Tx All!

M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TW2.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	471882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TW1.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	445.9 KB 
ID:	471883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM1.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	471884  

+1
    The thrust wash presses farther up to the seals.

+1
    Ok,

So I will press fit this onto the shaft, so this will turn with the engine

tx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information