Polaris SL 1050 no power

Hi Guys

i took my ski out the weekend for family's birthday and I got sprayed by family on their see doo. my ski i still ran for about another 10 to 15 min then parked it.

when i wanted to take it out again i noticed that the mfd had no display as well as the motor refused to turn so it seems completely dead.

i briefly checked it when i got home thinking maybe a bad earth.

i put my meter on positive wire and then negative on random earth points and was getting 13.6v

surly the mfd wont affect the starting. ill check the mfd's fuse later to see if its still good is their anything else i can check that could cause it not to have power.

thanks

+1
    Need to be ALOT more specific where you had tester leads.

Are black wires in electrical box showing 12+ v ? (small wire at battery terminal)

Do red/purple stripe wires show 12+v ? ( circuit breaker working)

pulled the electrical box open yesterday and noticed it burnt a black wire off not sure why it would have just shorted and burnt. hope it hasn't damaged the cdi or stator

I've attached the pic of where i it burnt, the wire was burnt off but not in this pic, ill need to take another pic, so car that's ill i can see that was damaged
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire1edited.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	471648  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goku View Post
    pulled the electrical box open yesterday and noticed it burnt a black wire off not sure why it would have just shorted and burnt.

hope it hasn't damaged the cdi or stator ...
    If the electrical box shorts to the battery positive post that can burn the thin black wires.

+1
    Again, you need to be more specific about WHAT wire you are talking about or testing.

The black wires are ground (earth ) They need to match the positive power going into the electrical system in terms of amperage.
    A bad connection on the large black cable at the engine will cause the smaller black wires to try to take additional amperage, causing them to burn.

Why you need to be specific with electrical, is the burnt wire might have nothing to do with the problem-depending on which wire.

Why is there a splice on the large red cable ?

Hi Casey67

looks like the screw on the positive wire got hot or corroded and went through through the foam that was meant to protect the electrical box.

looks like when i parked it i couldn't tie it up so the ski turned to the side and with all the waves hitting it from the back it shorted.

I've since replaced a new earth wire from the box to the battery and now the ski has its display and runs when starting so guess im lucky the stator and cdi is ok.

ive put a rubber mat which i cut between the battery and the electrical box so it doesn't happen again.

only issue now i need to look at is when it runs it shows lowp or lorp on the screen and noticed the oil and petrol showed low on the mfd and they should both be full.

i tried to calibrate it to see if it would correct and the gauges showed about 3 bar but still same warning on screen while running so might need to look more at the wires

red wire was extended to battery as it was to short to move.

thanks

Thread Information