Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenk2 View Post
    Aside from warranty concerns, are there any negative effects on the engine running up to 8300 RPM?
    The Yamaha SVHO 1.8 liter engine seems to be quite reliable and long lived running RPM up to 8300.

Many higher stage SVHO tunes set the limit at 8500 or 8600. 8600 and up the valve retainers need to be lightened to avoid damage risk. With lighter retainers the rest of the engine can run into the 9000 range.

+1
    With just retainers people spinning 9000-9500..

if I was new to the game, tune, prop, and retainers will gain you a lot! .

For our first season with it, I think we'll probably just stick with the Riva Stage 1 tune and see what we think, then plan for additional upgrades the season after that. We've never had a ski that approaches this level of performance, and I think we will want to see what it can do with the tune alone first. My son and I will be the only ones pinning the throttle I think - my daughter is a good rider, but I'm not sure she will be brave enough to get it up to 80, at least right away anyways. Maybe if we have glass early some morning out there all by ourselves?

Can I drop the tune in there right off the dealer's lot, or do we need to do the break-in first? Presumably, I would think that even with the limiter removed and the new tune parameters in there, the break-in procedure would still be the same regardless - the tune really has no effect on that.

+1

Can I drop the tune in there right off the dealer's lot, or do we need to do the break-in first? Presumably, I would think that even with the limiter removed and the new tune parameters in there, the break-in procedure would still be the same regardless - the tune really has no effect on that.
    Break-in process is only 90 minutes of riding time.

For the first ride, leave the ECU stock. Take it out, work through the break-in process per the owners manual. Get to know how it runs, rides and handles. After a couple of riding hours, you can install the tune.

The first engine service interval is at 10 running hours. Lots of us waited until after that to apply the aftermarket ECU tune. If anything comes up in the first few hours that requires dealer attention, warranty, whatever, the machine really is still factory stock.

Tip: Before the very first ride, take some time to check things under the seat, and elsewhere. Check for loose hose clamps, a loose wire flopping around where it should not, battery connections are actually tight, that sort of thing. Yamaha factory does a good job with assembly, but it does not hurt to check.

Note that the mirror modules are attached to the hood at the dealer, so check those screws.

Take a tow rope and have a plan if something goes wrong on the first few rides, in terms of getting back to shore.

These machines tend to be reliable and work as expected. Just do the checks and precautions.

Gotcha - what's a typical turnaround time for Riva if I send them my ECU for programming?

+1
    ... what's a typical turnaround time for Riva if I send them my ECU for programming?
    Best to call and ask them directly.

I mean it don't help none that I'm in Oregon and they're in Florida, so transit times will likely be a week each way unless I pay for expedited shipping.

+1
    ... I'm in Oregon and they're in Florida, so transit times will likely be a week each way unless I pay for expedited shipping.
    So just buy the whole kit, MaptunerX unit, cables and tune license. By the time you have done the ten hour service it will be there.

Install the tune, experiment, decide what is best for you.

Once you are certain you do not need the physical tuner box anymore, re-sell it locally, just the unit. You keep the tune license.

Or just keep the whole kit on hand, just in case.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information