Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2021 VX Deluxe (TR1) Max speed and RPM

Hello everyone, new to the forum, but have owned waverunners for decades, and have used these forums from a viewers standpoint for years. I decided to purchase my first 4-stroke this year and have a few questions I have been unable to answer elsewhere.

I completed the 2 hour break-in on the 2021 VX TR-1, and but have been unable to get it to spin faster than 7300 RPM. It hits 50 mph even (gps) , but wonít go past 7300 RPM- almost like thereís a limiter. Dealer told me that ďit will open up more as it continues to break-in.Ē Does this sound true to you? Ski is one week old, itís at 8 hours now still only hitting 7300 pegged.

I want to know if anyone else has a 2021 ski with the TR-1 and what your revs were looking like before 10 hrs.

half tank of fuel, Iím 200lbs, 6í3Ē, fairly smooth salt water.

I chose the TR1 after noticing that Almost every rental outfit runs the VXs with the TR-1. Talked to a guy down in the keys who has over 1,000 hrs on his TR1 fleet with no issues. Not looking for a speed demon or I woulda got a 1.8.

open up the air filter box and remove the air filter and see what happens also change your plugs i donít know but iíve never seen a waverunner that limits rpms on beak in then opens up after but maybe this is a new tr1 thing

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FLASalt89 View Post
    Hello everyone, new to the forum, but have owned waverunners for decades, and have used these forums from a viewers standpoint for years. I decided to purchase my first 4-stroke this year and have a few questions I have been unable to answer elsewhere.

I completed the 2 hour break-in on the 2021 VX TR-1, and but have been unable to get it to spin faster than 7300 RPM. It hits 50 mph even (gps) , but won’t go past 7300 RPM- almost like there’s a limiter. Dealer told me that “it will open up more as it continues to break-in.” Does this sound true to you? Ski is one week old, it’s at 8 hours now still only hitting 7300 pegged.

I want to know if anyone else has a 2021 ski with the TR-1 and what your revs were looking like before 10 hrs.

half tank of fuel, I’m 200lbs, 6’3”, fairly smooth salt water.

I chose the TR1 after noticing that Almost every rental outfit runs the VXs with the TR-1. Talked to a guy down in the keys who has over 1,000 hrs on his TR1 fleet with no issues. Not looking for a speed demon or I woulda got a 1.8.
    Find another dealer, he is lying or doesnt know better, .. either way run from them.
    But if you get 50 on gps , your about done..
    They make a EXR with TR-1 with speed of 54.6mph at 8,000rpm (nearly 5mph and 1,000rpm above the standard EX TR-1 50mph 7,000rpm)

And yes these things will rack up a 1000 hours with very few problems..
    Every once in a while I get 1 that destroys the front top cases - has something to do with the counter balance shaft and the spinning weights ..

Welcome to the Hulk
    Lets see some pics and enjoy

My main concern is that there is an issue with the impeller pitch, and that is why my engine can’t get up past 7300? Can anyone provide any real-life RPM stats for a 2021 model year VX??As for the dealer, it’s Broward Motorsports, one of the largest in Florida.

Riva has the 2020 VX - TR1 at 7800rpm stock... The stage 1 tune takes it to 8300. I don't know if they changed this for the 2021's but that seems off for sure.

Could be a impeller pitch issue maybe?

Bring her back to the dealer, use that warranty!

So the dealer is telling me that they won’t look at my alleged “rpm issue” until it hits 10 hours. Interestingly enough I was out yesterday (with me and my dad (both 200lbs) and I got it upto 7400 rpm. The dealer maintains that the engine is “not broken in until after 10 hours and at least 2 tanks of fuel” and that if I want them to test it out on the Water, it will be an extra charge not covered under warranty- they do not have a test tank. I don’t trust leaving my ski with them (never have) and typically reserve my warranty claims for serious issues..which honestly no Yamaha I have Owned has ever had.

I called the Yamaha YES customer tech line, and they said that the TR1 in the VX redlines at 7800 RPM. They said the 7300/7400 is normal for the TR1 in the VX, and that likely my lower RPM is due to break-in/ physical variables with the water and rider, and likely is not an issue with the ski...we shall see I guess.

At this point I am going to hit the 10hrs, do the oil, filter and plug change, and see if it “opens up.”

+1
    FLASalt, did you pass 10 hrs and get the ski back out on the water?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    FLASalt, did you pass 10 hrs and get the ski back out on the water?

Yea, so this past weekend I hit 10 hrs and did the first oil change using an OEM filter and Yamalube 10w-40. Took it out this evening, and low and behold....no change. Still stuck at 7300/7400 RPM, which hit 48 on the speedo and 50 on the GPS.

I havenít met anyone that has a 2021 VX so I still am in the dark as to whether it should be winding up faster or not.

I ordered a K&N Riva air filter and am going to do the Ribbon delete tomorrow. Iíll let you know if this helps any!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FLASalt89 View Post
    ... I ordered a K&N Riva air filter and am going to do the Ribbon delete tomorrow...
    Remove the air filter, close up the empty air box and go for a test ride. See what sustained RPM it provides. There should be zero dust or loose debris inside the 10-hour hull so the engine will be just fine.

Removing the flame arrestor ribbon will potentially void the engine warranty. I suggest not doing so until you have resolved whatever issue/concern you have with the factory engine configuration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information