Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Range of GP1800R HO vs SVHO

I realize that I will probably get some hate for asking this question, but does anyone have an idea of the range in miles of the GP1800R HO versus the SVHO on a full tank of fuel? I know that this could vary widely depending on how you're riding, but let's say you're on a trip where you need to make waypoints for fueling and ride in that manner?

Here's the deal - we love going out and tearing it up just as much as everyone, but we also take yearly trips down to Havasu and Lake Powell, and especially on Powell, there are long distances to cover if you want to get to various spots on the lake (i.e. Wahweap to Labyrinth or Rainbow Bridge). I want to get an SVHO, but we also would like to be able to use it to go longer distances as well. If we don't ride it like a raped ape, how far can we get on a full tank of gas? Or do I really just need to stick to the HO for distance riding?

Also, I am planning on mounting a couple of extra fuel cans on the back for those rides at Powell, but Dangling Rope has fuel (approx. 30 miles from Wahweap), and is about 10 miles from Forbidding Canyon where Rainbow Bridge is located. So all told, round trip from Wahweap to Rainbow Bridge would be 80 miles. Is this within reason for the SVHO rangewise?

+1
    Others are going to post up with more accurate answers, but in-general a super-charged GP is not to much more than a NA GP "if" you ride conservatively. That's the only catch - resisting full trigger. Some will say maintenance is more with SC models, yet we are talk Yamaha here, so either platform does really well in reliability.

Tip: Look for for when K447 posts-up here, on the best real-world answers for you on actual SVHO range whilst riding conservatively, as he has a ton of experience with the same type of riding you described on an SC craft. You might even want to try searching for his past posts too.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I find that with my GP 1800 with normal riding it’s around 75 miles to the fuel buzzer. At that point there’s still 4 gallons in the tank. You should be fine with the svho. Range may be a little less if you are constantly running full throttle. But 40-50 mph cruising 75 miles is no problem

+1
    So far I am the only SC ski in the group I ride with. I have never ran out of fuel on any of our outings since I'm maintaining my pace with theirs. On the contrary, when we start to open it up, their fuel consumption goes up trying to keep up with me. As of right now, the longest stretch I have done has been about 60 ish miles or so and have been around half a tank. Non-scientific obviously, just going by memory.

80 miles should be well within your range even with some hot-dogging out there. Full tilt throttle to the wall wont last though, be aware of that.

I do plan on doing some longer rides and will take fuel with me just in case.

+1
    I did a few long days my SVHO last year. and I can do 60 miles on the first 2 bars. and did it multiple days like that. it will do 80-90 I am sure maybe even 100 if you babied it. staying out of boost. 6000 or less rpms.. and its just cruising. that's still 45-50mph which if you ride with a mixed group pretty good for someof them.

our group is a FX140, GTI 130 seadoo, seadoo rxpx300, GPR1200, and a few others. the GTI is running HARD to do 50 all day and the RXPX300 runs out of gas before most.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    ... the RXPX300 runs out of gas before most.
    For years, when we ride with supercharged Seadoo machines in group rides at 45-60 ish cruise speeds, the boosted Seadoos will be looking for a refuel opportunity well before the SVHO Yamaha's.

Yes, most of the Seadoo have the small 60 liter fuel tank. Even calculating for that, the Seadoo engine just seems to consume more fuel per mile at similar cruise speeds. Adding to the stress of the Seadoo rider is that the low fuel warnings seem to happen early, with quite a bit of fuel remaining.

On long group rides with a mix of Seadoo models (mostly supercharged) we plan fuel stops every 60 odd miles. They will be on the warning for a few miles of that. Refuel, then we can go another 60 something miles.

+1
    Our group rides long distance nearly every ride 80-150 miles per day. I have an '18 gp and an '18 vxr so its basically the same as the new gp ho and svho. I average about 5mpg on the gp and 6mpg on the vxr with a crushing speed of about 50mph average. I have plumbed in tanks that give me 25-26 gallons of fuel for a run so that puts me at 125miles on the gp and 150miles on the vxr. With the stock tanks packed full i've put 19 gallons in, so thats 95 mile range on the svho and 114 miles on the ho. Again thats an estimated average speed of 50mph, your riding style will give you an average mpg but thats a base to start with. I like you wanted the range so I bought the vxr. One year later I bought the gp because I still had that speed itch. Which ever one you get, just get some data every time you ride, pack it full of fuel and do the math on miles/gallons. Once you know your ski planning fuel stops will be easy.

+1
    Not sure about the GP's but on my 20 FX you can really dial in the speed and acceleration limits. Meaning, you can set max speed to 35, 45, or 55 as well as normal or reduced acceleration on the skis touchscreen. Modern learn mode, great for newbie's. My point, get the SVHO and enjoy every min you can with that SC. If/when you need the gas mileage, restrict the skis top speed. It makes all the difference in the world. As stated previously, the SC is a fuel vacuum. It's also where all the fun comes in for sure. It might seem like a lot at first, but soon enough, that throttle becomes an on/off switch lol I say SVHO without a doubt. Options are always good and that would be a big regret to live with. You can always dial down the SVHO, going up with the HO has its limits. Have a Yam 200 (outboard) on my tritoon. Kick myself all the time for not getting the 250 SHO, GRRRR!

Thanks for all the replies on this everyone - extremely helpful, and it eases my mind a bit regarding the decision on the SVHO. One thing I didn't mention is that we previously owned an SVHO (about 5 or 6 years ago), and I traded it on an HO because the sprag gear (?) gave out on the supercharger at about 80 hours, and it was going to cost $$$ for them to repair. At that point I vowed never to own another supercharged ski, between the repairs and the fuel consumption. That being said, I really miss the performance, and removing the limiter and getting north of the 70 MPH mark is really appealing to me as well.

Sounds like as long as we're cognizant of the fuel burn above 50 MPH or so, we should be able to safely make it to Dangling Rope to refuel down at Powell, then enough for the return trip after visiting Forbidding Canyon and Rainbow Bridge. We'll be following family that will be riding in a Yamaha AR195, and top speed in that is just shy of 50 MPH anyways, so I would think that would be helpful in pacing us on the Waverunner. Not that I expect we'll maintain a steady 50 MPH - I've heard the water can be a bit rough in spots on that trip, so it'll probably be substantially less than that most of the way. At any rate, either way, we should have plenty of fuel to make it.

I've seen other posts here where folks have rigged up tie-downs for extra fuel cans on the boarding platform - I may check those out as well, but my concern with that is with those out back, you probably shouldn't be doing any horsing around I'd imagine (for fear of them breaking loose). Plus you effectively lose use of the boarding platform while they're back there. Still, there may be situations/rides where carrying those may make sense.

I suppose we could have the boat carry the extra fuel cans for us as well, but if we can make it to Dangling Rope, it's probably not necessary.

+1
    The clutch (sprag gear) convo is a totally different one, vs fuel.

You will never have the issue with a HO. the SVHO you will have the issue. its a replaceable, wear item. like breaks on a car. some wear them out fast, others make them last longer but not forever.

spinning doughnuts, bouncing on limiter ect. all eats away at the clutch. that being said, its replaceable in your own home for 400 bucks. The kicker for me is you don't know when it will go so surprise broke on a trip or something would piss me offf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information