Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

1996 Seadoo XP won't turn over with PTO plug in

My Seadoo turns over fine with no plugs in and just the mag-side plug in. When I try to turn over with just the PTO plug in, it seems to start to turn over. like for 1 half second and then whirs a bit.

Mag-side compression is 150. PTO side compression I can't measure cause when the tester is threaded in the PTO side, it won't turn over.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Banned User
    +1
    Make sure you have a new or fully charged battery. Also suspect would be the battery cable and associated connections. The lugs may look OK but internal corrosion will cause a current drop.

Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Make sure you have a new or fully charged battery. Also suspect would be the battery cable and associated connections. The lugs may look OK but internal corrosion will cause a current drop.
    Battery has been on the charger since I posted last night. Still don't get why the PTO cylinder requires more juice than the Mag-side cylinder.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghebert1111 View Post
    My Seadoo turns over fine with no plugs in and just the mag-side plug in. When I try to turn over with just the PTO plug in, it seems to start to turn over. like for 1 half second and then whirs a bit.

Mag-side compression is 150. PTO side compression I can't measure ...
    Is this machine new to you?

Have you ever seen it start and run?

If not, is it possible there is internal engine damage?

Is it the the starter motor making the whirring sound?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghebert1111 View Post
    Battery has been on the charger since I posted last night. Still don't get why the PTO cylinder requires more juice than the Mag-side cylinder.
    Just because its been on the charger doesnt mean the battery is good. The battery could be weak (or connections bad) like I said. Its apparent that one cylinder has lower compression than the other. You may have only 100 PSI on the cylinder you cant check and with the bad battery or current draw, the starter is not enough to turn it over with the 150 psi on the mag cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is this machine new to you?

Have you ever seen it start and run?

If not, is it possible there is internal engine damage?

Is it the the starter motor making the whirring sound?
    I've had the ski for 2 years. It was running fine fall of 2020. We had it out in October and it stopped running an would not turn over. As it was the end of the season, I trailered it home, into the garage and am now just getting around looking at it.

As for internal engine damage, that what doesn't make sense to me, if it is able to turn over with no plugs in, and able to turn over with the Mag-side plug in, what internal issue is being encountered when the PTO-side plug is in.

As for the whirring, I'll try and get a video and post it, I believe it is coming from the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Just because its been on the charger doesnt mean the battery is good. The battery could be weak (or connections bad) like I said. Its apparent that one cylinder has lower compression than the other. You may have only 100 PSI on the cylinder you cant check and with the bad battery or current draw, the starter is not enough to turn it over with the 150 psi on the mag cylinder.
    The Mag-side cylinder doesn't have low compression, it has 150 PSI. When a plug is in the PTO-side cylinder, it won't turn over. I've got several batteries that I keep charged with battery tender juniors, I'll try them all and see what happens. I'll also bring them into Advance auto and have them load tested to rule them out. Finally I'll try the batteries in my other 96 XP and see if they can turn that one over.

I've confirmed that at least 2 of my 4 batteries are in great shape, via Advance Auto Parts load testing. I wasn't able to try either of those batteries in my 2nd ski as I started a top end rebuild on that one.

I have not retried starting the problem ski. I'll also try and change out the starter and try and eliminate that as causing the issue although for the life of me I can't imagine why this would be a starter issue.

I'll try and post some video of what is happening when I try to start with the rear plug in.

Watch "1996 seadoo xp turning over, no plugs in" on YouTube

Watch "1996 Seadoo xp not turning over with rear plug in" on YouTube
    Last edited by ghebert1111; 02-20-2021 at 04:27 PM.

+1
    The 787 is a power hog when it comes to the starter motor. If we are sure the battery is good. Just try turning it over a few times, then feel the starter motor and battery cable. If they are hot, you either have a bad cable, or a bad starter. I usually replace a few 787 starters every year. If you can easily rotate the engine by hand with the plugs out, I'd be looking at an electrical/voltage issue.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information