MR1 swap FX from 06-04

Good Morning everyone,

I am in the process of swapping a good running 06 low hour MR1 ( the 1100 - high output) into an 04 hull. Both are FX models. The 04 was originally just the 1000 engine. Does anyone know can I just swap the engine over into the other or do I need to use the newer ecu, jet drive , etc etc? Overall they look identical and I was told I could go up to 08 I believe far as using one of these engines . Also I will be parting out the 06 after I am done with anything I need to make this work. The ski is a wreck and not a whole lot of good plastic left . It was a fresh water machine which is why I grabbed it. Hard to find in Fl.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help

+1
    You need all of the electrical equipment from the HO motor... ECU, e-box, harness, gauges, security module. The 06 gauges won't fit the 04 hull without modification, so you'll need to get gauges from an 04 or 05 FXHO. Not sure, but you'll probably also need the ECU, e-box and harness from an 04 or 05 FXHO. You definitely can't use the FX140 electrical parts on the HO motor. Unknown whether you'll be able to use the 06 HO ECU and e-box with the 04/05 gauges.

The FX140 jet pump and prop will work, but you won't get the same performance as you would from the HO pump and prop.

I have most of these parts available.
    Last edited by grumpy_steven; 02-05-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Good point on the gages. I have a complete 140 just bad engine so I picked up an 06 and yes its the newer nicer style hull and a lot of it won't swap over which is fine. My main thing is just to get the engine in and make it useable again . I will have to look at the harness connectors for the gages and see if they are the same and no you are correct. Completely different and improved gages on the 06. I had asked someone before about the years and was told up to an 08 and 140 or 160 would work. I guess now to see how much work! I am ok with the original pump and prop. I am not expecting to make a screamer just enjoy for a while and then upgrade down the road.

Good Morning, Depending where ya'll are from! Latest on this swap and seeing if anyone else has ran into this and has advice? I got the engine out and looked at the ecu and harness. Of course different. From what I see I can transplant the ecu and engine ok. Not a big deal. Here is where I run into a couple issues. The connectors for the gages for the 06HO not only has more wires but it is totally different.Therefore I do not see how I can use this? I investigated and looked at could I get slick with a dremel and cut out for the 06 cluster? Nope . Just the way it is made and fits to the 04 plastics, its really oversize. Then I began to look at well, maybe I could just swap the plastic side covers,hood, etc over. I started with the hood. I am not sure of the plastics, most of which is ng on this one can even be swapped. I am also not sure about the remote, compass and all that as the 04 didn't have that stuff yet I know I can swap it over as well and hope it works. Has anyone else ever ran into anything like this or know a way around it? My 04 gages are the typical faded and sorta beat already so no loss there. Yet even if I got a new one still same situation. I can post pics if need be . I was trying to not have to make a Frankenstein machine ! Thanks all.
    Last edited by leanngreen; 02-16-2021 at 10:46 AM. Reason: incorrect info

By analogy with a car, you need to use all the electrical wires from the old motor and rearrange them to the new one.all wires and control box from the new motor do not need to be used.

Yes, I understand that. The issue is none of the stuff fits. Although I could start drilling more holes and buying more plastic to replace whats needed and I am not saying its impossible I think I may just part everything out. So, with that being said , I will be parting out a complete 04 FX140 and also an 06 FX Cruiser Ho if anyone needs anything . Unless I can find a good 06-? donor then its a lot simpler swap. Contact me if you have a donor before I start getting rid of things that I may need. I will be tossing things onto e bay over the next couple weeks.

+1
    The easiest way would be to swap electronics with an 04-05 FX HO.

PM me for more details.

Scott

Thread Information