Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Kristian Keppel Waterholics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,436
    +1
    42

    ⚡️ Electric Yamaha FX FZ GP ⚡️

    I know this might piss off a few petrol heads but let's go

    So has anyone ever come across an EV motor swap into a traditional hull like an FZR or FX?

    Was toying with the idea of taking a Tesla motor and battery or some other EV motor (Suggestions welcome)
    that produces 350hp or more and spins atleast 9,000 RPM (Like a current SVHO with a Stage 1).

    This is purely for testing purposes and just wanted to see what electric power can do in a Jetski.

    I know Taiga has brought out an electric PWC but it seems to be towards the rental / entry market and not the performance.

    I am thinking that hole shot is going to be insane if the pump was tuned right and the midrange is gonna pull super hard.

    Any suggestions?

    P.S. I have a hull for an FZR I am willing to experiment with.


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,994
    +1
    2,377
    The problem is not with the electric motor or the motor controller. Those can fit inside a PWC hull.

    Battery weight, kilowatt-hour capacity and physical size is the limiting factor.

    Electric drag race cars have impressive performance but the batteries are depleted rapidly.

  3. #3
    Kristian Keppel Waterholics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,436
    +1
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The problem is not with the electric motor or the motor controller. Those can fit inside a PWC hull.

    Battery weight, kilowatt-hour capacity and physical size is the limiting factor.

    Electric drag race cars have impressive performance but the batteries are depleted rapidly.
    This is fine for the build I am going for.

    It's not gonna be a cruiser but a course monster.

    I'm thinking drag races and even some closed circuit racing.

  4. #4
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    9,313
    +1
    2,346
    here's some interesting specs and discussion of the model s tesla motor

    https://chargedevs.com/newswire/elon...uction-motors/

    power to weight is awesome, rpm is going to be an issue, so the reduction gearing is going to be killer expensive

    cooling was an issue but a pwc shouldn't have a problem with that

    cost of the motor and battery size+weight are going to be things to consider

    the battery is going to be the problem in the PWC enviornment I suspect

    still hey if you've got the funding, go for it!

  5. #5
    Kristian Keppel Waterholics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,436
    +1
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    here's some interesting specs and discussion of the model s tesla motor

    https://chargedevs.com/newswire/elon...uction-motors/

    power to weight is awesome, rpm is going to be an issue, so the reduction gearing is going to be killer expensive

    cooling was an issue but a pwc shouldn't have a problem with that

    cost of the motor and battery size+weight are going to be things to consider

    the battery is going to be the problem in the PWC enviornment I suspect

    still hey if you've got the funding, go for it!
    Or we could just spin the prop to 18,000 RPM

    So it's either building a reduction gear system or finding a motor that spins around 8-9000 RPM's.

    Cooling doesn't seem like a big problem if we were to get the RPM's down to 8000.

  6. #6
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,994
    +1
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    ... a course monster.

    I'm thinking drag races and even some closed circuit racing.
    How many minutes at wide open do you think you are going to have?

    Two?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Nashville, Tn
    Posts
    888
    +1
    107

    ⚡️ Electric Yamaha FX FZ GP ⚡️

    I don’t know if 18,000 rpm will be an issue. Some of the drag skis spinning 10-11K. The torque of electric motors are intriguing. There are quite a few electric super cars killing their counter part Tesla and nearly all of the gas super cars. See the torque numbers in the article below.


    https://electrek.co/2020/05/17/not-r...e-ferrari-now/

  8. #8
    the whole bottom to a tesla is a battery and weighs 1200 lbs

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Nashville, Tn
    Posts
    888
    +1
    107
    You wouldn’t need all of that battery unless you wanted to ride 200-300 miles powering a ski the size of a car along with AC / heat, headlights and a stereo

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Nashville, Tn
    Posts
    888
    +1
    107
    It’s just 18650 batteries, not much bigger than a single AA battery, just a bunch of them. My high power flashlights and dive lights run off them. So does my heavy torqued E-bicycle. Think my ebike uses 72 of them.

    That 1200lb battery referenced used 7100 of them.


    “Tesla has been using 18650 cells manufactured by Panasonic in Asia in the Models S and X cars since 2013.”

    https://evannex.com/blogs/news/under...-ion-batteries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ⚡️Upgrade your Yamaha Supercharger for more POWER!
    By Green Hulk in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2019, 09:15 AM
  2. ⚡️Upgrade your Sea Doo Supercharger for more POWER!
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2019, 09:14 AM
  3. HOOD Rubbing on paint 🤦🏻♂️
    By Cham15 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •