Question 2012 GTX S 155 - Oil in the bilge

Hey all, hoping someone here may have some insight on my oil situation.

Recently purchased a 2012 GTX S 155 with 90 hours on the clock. Engine was replaced as a warranty job after 89 hours when the original engine snapped a timing chain shortly after it was purchased second-hand from a dealer.

Being a suspension model, it's pretty hard to see much in the bilge. But from what I could see the engine block did look new, and it ran very smooth.

After I took it out the first time for a couple of hours, after removing the bungs, I noticed fresh oil mixed in with the water. From here, I attempted to clean as much oil as I could without disassembling the entire ski, and took it out again a week later. This time, still running fine, but same thing. Fresh oil in the bilge.

So I bit the bullet and took the ski apart. lifted the top off, removed the engine cover and the air intake box and thoroughly cleaned the engine and compartment of all traces of oil. Attempted to locate the source of the oil, but was unsuccessful. At this point, I wondered if the oil was left there from the old motor which had blown up, and being that it was a warranty job, the mechanics never bothered to clean it properly.

I put it all back together, all nice and spotless in the engine compartment, and took it out again for about 3 hours of use. This time there wasn't oil coming out of the bungs, but reaching though from the battery compartment, I can feel oil again, just a little less than before.

Checking the oil periodically the dipstick shows it seems to be slowly losing oil. After about 12 hours of use all up, the oil dropped from just under the full level marker, to about half-way.

My question is, given that I have checked for oil contamination in the coolant, and it appears not to be burning oil. Where would the most likely oil leak come from, and is an engine removal required to address it?

From what I could see, there didn't seem to be any oil around the filter, so it made me think the oil was most likely leaking from somewhere underneath/hard to see.

TIA.

Cheers,
    Steve

+1
    Steve, I had a similar issue with my 2007 RXP after I removed the engine to clean ceramic supercharger washer bits out of everything. I had a leak much like yours and couldn’t find it. I even cleaned everything in the bilge and stuffed it full of clean rags to try to locate the source but no luck. The water was soaking the rags foiling my efforts. I came on here and someone suggested using the fluorescent oil dye which I did. In my case I had to pull the motor after running it to find the leak, which was the drain plug that I had not fully tightened. I highly recommend the dye as there was no way of would have visually found the leak without it.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Here is the thread I posted about my leak showing a photo of the bottom of the engine after using the dye.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=282140

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by DealsGapCobra View Post
    Here is the thread I posted about my leak showing a photo of the bottom of the engine after using the dye.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=282140
    Thanks, I'll check it out. If it's going to come down to removing the engine, I might just wait until the end of Summer (southern hemisphere). Apart from making a mess, the leak doesn't appear to be hurting anything.

Super annoying if it comes down to something that simple. You must have been frustrated.

+1
    Frustrating for sure but I only had myself to blame. On the other hand, once I found it, it was an easy fix!

Enjoy the rest of the season and let us know what you find.

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by DealsGapCobra View Post
    Frustrating for sure but I only had myself to blame. On the other hand, once I found it, it was an easy fix!

Enjoy the rest of the season and let us know what you find.

Will do, thanks for the advice.

Thread Information