Speedo and screen not working, also some water got into the back of the ski.

I've got a Yamaha waverunner sho fzs 2009, we recently went on a house boat for 3 days and the last day we left the ski tied on backwards so it was easier to get in and out and while riding the gauge and screen stopped working. We checked the fuse box and everything seemed alright. There was a little bit of water in the back of the ski and when riding it, it felt like it was struggling. We think its because we tied it on backwards and the current was pushing water into it. I'm not quite sure why the screen and speedos aren't working?

+1
    The bilge siphon system (shown in section "Hull & Deck" of the part fiche diagrams) could be a potential source for water inside the hull given the scenario you described - aka the metal tube you see inside the jet nozzle. Water could get forced in reverse up the tube. There is supposed to be a one-way check-valve to prevent this very thing from happening, yet they've been known to fail.

The next potential candidate, is the Bilge Pump system. Similar rational as the siphon system (aka reverse flow) yet instead of a check-valve, it just functions as a siphon-break device. That means you could get a temporary back-flow only.

Struggling - as in heavy hull full of water. Or struggling as in the engine is laboring?

Probably less-likely . . . but you can't overlook the potential of passively activating the coolant system and hydro-locking the engine (very bad thing). This only possible when towing the PWC greater than 5 MPH in the forward direction not reverse. Did you tow the FZS at all previously?

Gauge cluster out - I have no theory on this yet. Can't correlated to your situation. Might be just a poor ground connection somewhere. Do you have the key fob to cycle between locked & unlocked? Does the screen activate then?

3. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post

. . . but you can't overlook the potential of passively activating the coolant system and hydro-locking the engine (very bad thing). This only possible when towing the PWC greater than 5 MPH in the forward direction not reverse. ...

Water pressure is water pressure. Towing a ski backwards could (I imagine) pressurize the jet pump exit nozzle area, and that is where the cooling water inlet is located.

I have never tested such a scenario (behind a boat, towing the ski backwards). Towing a ski backwards at even modest speeds tends to make it unstable, tends to submarine.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Water pressure is water pressure. Towing a ski backwards could (I imagine) pressurize the jet pump exit nozzle area, and that is where the cooling water inlet is located.

I have never tested such a scenario (behind a boat, towing the ski backwards). Towing a ski backwards at even modest speeds tends to make it unstable, tends to submarine.
    Funny you bring that up. Actually, I gave that notion considerable thought just before posting... and figured the venturi wouldn't function in reverse flow pattern - aka no progressive restriction to build up pressure. That's why I highlighted 'forward'. But hey, there's been stranger things, so anything is possible.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    ... venturi wouldn't function in reverse flow pattern - aka no progressive restriction to build up pressure. ....
    Well, there is a non-turning impeller in there which can restrict water flow.

I have never tested, let alone done any pressure or flow measurements, when towing a PWC backwards.

I do know that it is possible to clear a weed clogged intake grate by positioning the non-running jet pump back to back with another running PWC, then sudden acceleration away forces water backwards through the blocked jet pump and out the clogged intake grate.

8. +1 by:

The screen works when you unlock and lock it, but when u start it the screen doesnt work. We tied the ski on backwards overnight, we only tied it on backwards as it was easier to get on and off it. I think it was a strong current that messed everything up and thats why there was water in the ski. Is there any way to look at it or fix it at home, or should i just take it to a mechanic.

We also thought it was a fuse problem so we checked it and everything seemed fine

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Judehx View Post
    The screen works when you unlock and lock it, but when u start it the screen doesnt work. We tied the ski on backwards overnight, we only tied it on backwards as it was easier to get on and off it. I think it was a strong current that messed everything up and thats why there was water in the ski. Is there any way to look at it or fix it at home, or should i just take it to a mechanic.
    Electrically-speaking this makes no sense that the screen/gauges work when you awaken this craft via the fob verses the start button.
    Fuse #5 (3A) maybe - yet you said you checked them all good.
    Let's walk this through for a minute ... the gauge cluster is powered via the security receiver, which you can successfully awaken with the fob. So that's working correctly, has power etc...
    The starter button circuit also signals the security receiver to awaken via - which is not totally clear to me at this moment. However, I am just noticing (looking at the wire diagram) that there seems to be a common circuit pathway between the security box pin 14, the ECU pin 21, and the start button circuit (momentary switched side) via the main box pins 2 to 3 jumper-ed. These wires all unify at a electrical joint coupler 7. Coupler 7 looks to be a 6 pin coupler with only 3 solid yellow wires on it.
    So if I'm reading this yellow circuit correctly, upon tapping the start button, that entire circuit goes hot for a second, meaning both the ECU an security box get signaled in-that a start attempt is being made, aka wakening these components out of sleep. "If it were me", Couplers have a water-tight cap you can pop off and look inside at its wire splice rail. Not saying this is your issue, but we have see other couples get wet inside and corrode the wire rail. I might next unplug the security receiver and put a DVM on pin 14 while someone mashes the start button - looking if I see a pulse of 12v - aka the wake-up signal. If this sounds beyond your means, there's no shame in getting professional help. Unless someone else on here has heard of this odd behavior before, I'd say you got a hard one to solve. And "if" and when you do resolve it, please please post back here - love to hear where this goes.

Thread Information