Anybody Interested in Racing?

So Iíve gotten in contact with the president of East Coast Watercross with a question of class designation for my ski, that being a GP1200R on stock displacement. I was told that one of the best options would be creating a new class alongside him, but at least 3 people are needed. So if anyone with a 1200 or 1300 is interested in racing we have a need for you.

I may have talked to the same guy last year before COVID. He said he would put my GP1200R in the runabout class. Not sure what that is, but discouraged me to go any further. I wouldn’t mind trying it at least once.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Dont typically come into the Yamaha section but just happened to catch this. I also looked into this 2 years back and found it is hard to find people who are running these old 1200 2 strokes. He had a few people express interest but attendance was sporadic so they didnt always have 3 or more people to run as a separate class. I wasnt looking forward to driving 5 hours to find no one there to run with so kind of lost interest.
    For any chance at a separate 1200 class I think a group of people would need to consistently show up for races then it could possibly grow if there is any interest left for it. Not sure if I could make every race but would commit as many as possible.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    I may have talked to the same guy last year before COVID. He said he would put my GP1200R in the runabout class. Not sure what that is, but discouraged me to go any further. I wouldn’t mind trying it at least once.
    I dont recall what the class rules are probably because with regard to 2 and 4 strokes they dont make much sense but I think a stock 1200 can run with 4 stroke naturally aspirated. The problem is when you get into 2 stroke modified then you are with boosted 4 strokes so they put a 200 hp triple pipe with a 4-500 hp 4 stroke.

Someone tried to discourage you from racing or racing in a certain class? Can you elaborate?

I’ve been reading over the ProbWatercross rulebook and the current ruling is that the runabout classes nowadays are able to run forced induction with up to 8lbs of boost which isn’t right for an old 1200 to race against. We could get together and have a new class made for us, and I don’t really want to race the 800s because that doesn’t seem fair either with 300-400cc more than them. We could also have the class made to include 1100cc motors from other companies just to have more possible competition.

Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    I dont recall what the class rules are probably because with regard to 2 and 4 strokes they dont make much sense but I think a stock 1200 can run with 4 stroke naturally aspirated. The problem is when you get into 2 stroke modified then you are with boosted 4 strokes so they put a 200 hp triple pipe with a 4-500 hp 4 stroke.

Someone tried to discourage you from racing or racing in a certain class? Can you elaborate?
    No one tried to discourage me. I guess I had thoughts of competing against similar skis. The runabout class seemed like that’s where they put the skis that don’t really fit into there normal category’s. They said they would find a place for me which felt like I was the odd ball. The runabout class may still be a lot of fun. I just need to attend one and see for my self.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy3241 View Post
    I’ve been reading over the ProbWatercross rulebook and the current ruling is that the runabout classes nowadays are able to run forced induction with up to 8lbs of boost which isn’t right for an old 1200 to race against. We could get together and have a new class made for us, and I don’t really want to race the 800s because that doesn’t seem fair either with 300-400cc more than them. We could also have the class made to include 1100cc motors from other companies just to have more possible competition.
    There was always a runabout "naturally aspirated" class which was for 4 stroke runabouts up to 2000cc with no superchargers. 2 strokes up to 1300cc with no triple pipes/dry pipes could run with them. I think the 8lb boost rule is for stock class which is weird because kawi 300 makes more than that stock. Not really sure about that I dont care, I dont even think they have tech checking on peoples stuff so it would be pointless people would just cheat.

I dont think they would run a 1200 with the 800s. The 800 class is stacked and I dont think that would fly.
    As far as 1100 2 strokes go I think the only people running them are swaps in ski or sport spec. 1100 4-stroke can run with the 800 2-stroke class.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    No one tried to discourage me. I guess I had thoughts of competing against similar skis. The runabout class seemed like that’s where they put the skis that don’t really fit into there normal category’s. They said they would find a place for me which felt like I was the odd ball. The runabout class may still be a lot of fun. I just need to attend one and see for my self.
    "Runabout" is not an oddball class, it is the 1200 that is oddball. GPR 1200 is a runabout as is an STXR and a seadoo xp or gp800.

The guy I talked to said he could make a class exception for me racing 800 class purely because I’m a novice rider. But I think we could have a new class made for us.

Thread Information