faint beeper noise 2009 VX cruiser

2009 VX cruiser, making a faint noise in the beeper but everything running ok and no fault codes, only 01. It was previously sand logged in the block 7 years ago but engine was removed and sand cleaned out.
    Has run perfectly ever since. not sure if this is a real problem or just some voltage leakage from a sensor or a problem with the beeper. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated, I'm in my seventies and getting too old to remove engine again. Is it possible block temp sensor or exhaust sensor are faulty?

+1
    Is the faint noise you hear an actual "beep ... beep ... beep ... " or is it steady-on? Can you mute it - aka press the mode button once, and does the sound stop?
    If it is repeatedly beeping, mutable, than you might have an actual alarm condition present, plus a defective beeper (hardly hear it). Here's something to know about Yamaha alarms (older ones) ... unfortunately the same audible alarm sound is used for over-heat, engine mechanical issues, and low fuel conditions. Aside from retrieving the code on the cluster, and guessing the 2009 has an LCD panel ... look to see if there are black icons on the LCD... one that looks like an engine, another that looks like a fuel fill-up pump. Are any of those icons blinking along with that faint beeping?

Thanks for your response. Definitely beep beep beep but very faint, no icons showing or flashing on the LCD cluster and strangely the beeps continued for about 30 seconds after after the motor was shut down. Didn't try muting the alarm and when it did overheat years ago it went straight into limp home mode but this time still operating OK. Have since run it on the hose with no beeping and pressing the mode button for 8 seconds shows code 01.
    The dealers here want $300 to put it through the YDS software so I am thinking about buying my own for about AU$100 and putting that through. Any other suggestions or thoughts?

+1
    If it's beeping, I'd say you could rule-out a false-alarm or shorted circuit to the beeper. I believe the beeper is directly driven from circuit logic inside the gauge cluster.
    An "01" as we know = all-normal, but note that gauge cluster has no ability to "remember" error codes, so there's always a chance it could have reset by the time you actually attempted to view the code. It might also elude that you might have had a low-fuel alarm, in-which there is no code - hence the cluster says on 01. Low fuel alarms can occur as soon as a 1/4th tank or 4-5 gallons remaining.

Agreed, I think you purchasing your own YDS kit is very wise, because it can retrieve all past codes thrown from the ECU's diagnostic log, along with the run-hours that code occurred. The ECU logs all critical alarms, over-heat, sensor malfunction, etc ... except the low-fuel alarms because, again there's no code for fuel. You can also clear the log completely, so you might not see the full history if it's been cleared before.
    You'll want an older laptop PC, or a desktop PC - not a Notepad or Tablet, as the USB drivers for the YDS cable are a bit finicky. I'm sure the Vendor of the CDROM can assisted you with minimum PC requirements. The YDS connector simply plugs into the gauge cluster - that means you need to unplug the cluster whenever using YDS.

Thanks Time Bandit, I will try to get a YDS kit from the states. Any suggestions on the best place to purchase that will send to Australia? If it is an overheat issue has anyone tried a mild acid flush to save complete engine removal?

+1
    I got my YDS kit from an independent online merchant - rhymes with fleabay. Ask if they would also throw in a Service Manual too.

As far as a caustic-flush - highly inadvisable !
    I think you need to confirm if over-heating is indeed still an issue, and is it a faulty sensor or the real deal.
    FWIW, there are 3 sensors. Two are thermo-switches (either on or off based on temp) and these will trigger an alarm event with limp-mode.
    The other sensor is an thermistor that provides the ECU an analog range of engine temps - mainly for fuel mapping AFRs.

Historically, over-heating could be sand/debris trapped rather than calcium/lime build-up. Some folks have reported good results with performing a "strong flush" procedure. This entails removing the thermostat and going for a few WOT runs. Theory in that without the thermostat installed, the coolant system can attain higher flush rates within the system and dislodge and stubborn debris.
    Aluminum-oxide build-up is indeed a real possibility, an if the case, when require disassembly/inspection.

After you get YDS, and if you still have an over-heating issue, I'd suggest a new thread topic on it.

Thread Information