Polaris Virage i 2004, Ficht fuel injection rear cylinder not firing

I bought this 2 cylinder 2 stroke ski thinking it might be an easy fix as it runs it just wouldnt get up and go. found out its not firing on rear cylinder.

On land it runs and reves up fine but in the water it doesnt have any power.

I have spayed starter down the second cylinder and it gets up on the wake fine so asuming its not geting fuel.

have checked spark, swapped injectors, swapped spark leads pulled the fuel system out and cleaned, has right fuel pressure, has power in the injector leads, checked reeds, stumped as to what it might be.

please help!!!
    Last edited by K447; 01-22-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

The EMM may need repair.
    Lakeside Tech can test/check the EMM and also do the repairs, if needed.

The EMM works the Ficht fuel injector by pulsing the ground connection. The injectors always have voltage when the engine is cranking or running. Should be about 45 volts DC with engine running, on the white/red wire. The tricky part with checking voltages for the Ficht injectors is that if you unplug an injector that changes the actual voltages.

If the EMM internal circuit for the rear cylinder has failed then the Ficht injector will not pulse properly and the cylinder will not get fuel.

Do check that the color coded wiring to each cylinder has not been swapped. Injectors, ignition coil primary wires, secondary wires. Inspect the rear cylinder wiring for possible damage, connector corrosion, frayed wire, etc.

Note that there is a temp sensor on the exhaust system which happens to have the same plug as the fuel injector wires. Check whether someone has accidentally swapped them. The wires have different color codes.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

3. +1 by:

The wirers showed the correct voltage but didnt know they pulsed off the ground connection, is there any way of checking that?
    I have been looking at your posts with one pulled apart Are they hard to pull apart and have a look or is it pretty messy to deal with? the old boys a technician so hes not completely inexperienced with electrics and as we are in australia probably a bit costly to send to the us to test thank you for your help!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bc2017 View Post
    The wires showed the correct voltage but didnt know they pulsed off the ground connection, is there any way of checking that?

I have been looking at your posts with one pulled apart. Are they hard to pull apart and have a look or is it pretty messy to deal with?

... we are in Australia ...
    A Ficht fuel injector is entirely different from a typical automotive fuel injector. A Ficht RAM fuel injector is actually a high pressure pulse driven fuel pump, powered by 45 the volt current pulses, in turn controlled by the EMM.

There is a mesh screen filter just behind the injector tip, but injector failure is relatively rare. I did take one apart as it had a leaking seal (and to reveal what is inside) but typically there is no gain to be had from poking about inside a Ficht fuel injector.

The entire injector including the tip is flow mapped at the factory and the parameters are programmed into the EMM. This is why swapping injectors for a quick test is ok but for long term operation it is preferred that the injectors match the EMM compensation map, per cylinder.

There are a few GH members in Oz that know their way around the Ficht system.

I have posted a lot of info about the Ficht system. My signature link leads to many links and useful material.

Diagnostics and servicing of a Ficht system is very different from automotive fuel injection. The operating principles are different, the injectors work differently, the EMM is different. And the diagnostic methods are different. The Direct Fuel Injection system found on some modern car engines would be the closest in design.

Tip: Click on My Profile on top right corner of the web site, you can add your location info so other members who might be close can offer help.
    Last edited by K447; 01-23-2021 at 10:52 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    and lay off the starter fluid, nothing good ever comes of that...ever.

a single backfire could introduce you to another major polaris headache

Welcome aboard GH, you won't find a site anywhere with more Polaris know how

Thread Information