Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Am I crazy to consider picking up a 2021 Yamaha GP1800R SVHO for the upcoming season?

Now that my 1200 STX-R is basically ready to tear it up I need another ski to bring along so I have a friend to ride with. The new GP1800R appears to be basically the pinnacle of performance for an almost stock ski. With a mild tune it appears it can break 80 mph or at least come close. That is insane for an almost stock ski but it seems like it can do that easily according to the reviews I have seen and read. That is insane! Has Kawasaki basically lost in terms of performance? It appears so.

If I can buy a basically stock Yamaha ski for ~$15,000 and with nothing other than a software update it is breaking or touching 80 MPH that must be so much fun to ride!

Any reason I shouldn't consider grabbing a 2021 GPR1800R? I am all ears but I need a second ski regardless so I have someone to ride with. The current Yamaha GP1800R appears to be the ski to get in 2021. Maybe I am missing something but that appears to be the case?
    Last edited by beekermartin; 01-26-2021 at 11:34 AM.

+1
    Is the GP1800 for the friend to ride? If so, buy it and I'll ride with you.

Never owned a supercharged Yamaha, but after two boats and ten WaveRunners with 4-stroke motors, I'd swear by Yamaha quality and reliability.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Non-supercharged GP1800R HO or supercharged GP1800R SVHO model?
    Last edited by K447; 01-22-2021 at 10:39 AM.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    all jet ski owners are crazy ..... we just overlook that, cost per amount of time riding becomes a factor on all supercharged boats. if speed is your "thing" that's a good boat, if you want to just ride with friends than look at a non supercharged boat after 20 year of riding i realized that i just jetski between gas stations.

+1
    Get one, and mod it some...90! ha

+1
    Get it. Your not getting any younger. Trailered mine to Marco Island, Florida today. Stopped at Riva first for a tuner. It's almost as fast as my SXR to 60.
    Stock tune it hit 73 then backed down to 71. I'm running bone stock Riva right now. Will have numbers in a bit. Will install stage 1+ after I break it in a little more. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210122_083154.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	470759
    Last edited by mybad; 01-22-2021 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added

Thanks for the replies. I am gonna give it some serious thought. I know it is a waste of money but like a few of you have said I am not getting any younger.

My biggest concern is I live in RI. There are only a few fresh water lakes/ponds to ride in. I can ride in salt water of course and I am considering it but after seeing the damage salt water does to a ski I am nervous to do it.

Any recommendations on how to use a ski in salt water but in a way that it doesn't destroy it? Rebuilding my 2002 STX-R I found salt water damage everywhere!

+1
    Basically it is about proactive protection of the materials and surfaces along with thorough fresh water flushing and cleaning after riding. Hull interior, exterior, trailer, engine and jet pump, everything.

Then allow it to dry completely. Some guys lay a box fan over the seat opening or rig up some other way to encourage air flow through the hull.

Metal protection coating on the engine and other hardware inside the hull. I applied CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion spray coating to my own GP1800 SVHO. That product creates a rather thick and slightly sticky coating that slowly dries, leaves a yellowish tint. Can be removed with solvent later, if needed. When I was riding in salt water the coating seemed to completely protect the engine metal.

CRC 6-56 protectant spray is a thinner liquid, useful for seeping into crevices and treating moving parts. And easily reapplied as needed.

Others on here will have their preferred product recommendations and methods.

In some areas I use Fluid Film. Goopy and thick, does not dry, but great for protecting the material it is applied to. Sometimes I use Boeshield T9, but only when none of the other products seems applicable.

Engine cooling system flush, I use Salt-Away. I added a tow-valve which I close when flushing the engine cooling system, then re-open the valve to drain.

I also spray the hull and trailer (including the backsides of the wheels and the axle) with salt-away, followed by rinse water.

Salt corrosion will still happen in hard to get places and crevices. The more proactive you can be the more gradual and more localized the salt caused issues will be.

More info
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3090843

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3012214

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3098059

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3062507

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    Why would you post this in Kawasaki 2-stroke section?
    Had not noticed that. Moved.

Great Ski, best WaterCraft Engine in the World, but what i hate on Yamaha Skis is the Paint.. it is very thin..i like more the Seadoo/Kawasaki Gelcoat and 2nd on seadoos you got more equipment to buy..like the Linq System Stuff etc... And BRP Products are more innovative then Yamaha but seadoo does have less quality

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information