PWC mechanic pay in Florida

Just curious if anyone knew what PWC mechanics made in Florida and what the availability of jobs are? Say with 10+ years of experience.

+1
    Probably just like anywhere else. Powersports mechanics typically make $20-40 per billable hour.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    keyword "billable hour"

4. +1 by:

+1
    Job market is still decent here - all things considered - as folks have turned to PWC more and more in these social-distancing times as they look for alternatives in breaking the boredom.
    If you've got the experience already, likely be better off $$ in the long-run going into business for yourself, than working for a service center ... forking out into private with a focus on performance-upgrades might yield to be lucrative. Yet again, that could also be very saturated here in FL, as I can quickly think of several FL locals that already do just that (I won't plug names - sorry).

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    keyword "billable hour"
    Exactly........which means between moving one in and out of the shop, gathering tools, writing up estimates and looking up parts,.....it's pretty easy to only bill out 5 hours labor in an 8 hour day. Anybody that has ever worked like this knows it to be true! Right Pete??

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Exactly........which means between moving one in and out of the shop, gathering tools, writing up estimates and looking up parts,.....it's pretty easy to only bill out 5 hours labor in an 8 hour day. Anybody that has ever worked like this knows it to be true! Right Pete??
    Flat rate hours assure only the skilled survive at a pwc dealer

If you can’t beat book time by at least 150% dropping a bolt into a hull means you are now making minimum wage

And your 10k toolbox is laughing at you...

Here a hint for those of you looking to go into your own business....

Get really picky about the jobs you take....really picky as what initially looks like a payday turns into a nightmare

I cite a $60hr “surcharge” for skis that were obviously used in saltwater at my shop

It was more to send a subtle “get outta here, I don’t want this job” then an actual charge

I regretted taking a couple of Mexican Polaris pump rebuilds when the owners agreed

Those pump bolts are hard to get out when they snap off in the shoe

I also cited a minimum $500 charge for skis that came in along with milk crates and ziplock bags full of parts

Clock time included every minute from the instant I rolled the trailer into the shop until the last dustpan was emptied after I rolled it out

Not easy making a living on flat rate but you gotta be a star tech to get $50hr salary at a dealer

There’s room in dealerships as the supply of advanced techs is drying up real fast now as most of my generation is pushing retirement

One more tip

Fleet maintenance is where the good money is now for newly graduated techs but working on garbage trucks is no picnic

9. +1 by:

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Flat rate hours assure only the skilled survive at a pwc dealer

If you can’t beat book time by at least 150% dropping a bolt into a hull means you are now making minimum wage .
    Working on motorcycles, flat rate pay works well for us hyper fast movers ,,But marine + salt = a kick in the nutz

And your 10k toolbox is laughing at you...

Here a hint for those of you looking to go into your own business....

Get really picky about the jobs you take....really picky as what initially looks like a payday turns into a nightmare.Sadly I turn down 1-2 jobs for every 1 I take. Basically I changed to No Repairs on anything older than 2015..

I cite a $60hr “surcharge” for skis that were obviously used in saltwater at my shop

It was more to send a subtle “get outta here, I don’t want this job” then an actual charge

I regretted taking a couple of Mexican Polaris pump rebuilds when the owners agreed

Those pump bolts are hard to get out when they snap off in the shoe

I also cited a minimum $500 charge for skis that came in along with milk crates and ziplock bags full of parts .I build/assemble lots of vx's from parts piles (rental guys can ruin 3 hulls in a week sometimes) and as long as the parts are newer than my phone, I love building baskets skis..(to be killed in a 2 weeks again)

Clock time included every minute from the instant I rolled the trailer into the shop until the last dustpan was emptied after I rolled it out

Not easy making a living on flat rate but you gotta be a star tech to get $50hr salary at a dealer

There’s room in dealerships as the supply of advanced techs is drying up real fast now as most of my generation is pushing retirement

One more tip

Fleet maintenance is where the good money is now for newly graduated techs but working on garbage trucks is no picnic
    Where in Fl makes a big money difference..
    The dealer down here charges 185 an hour and it's always a 3 week wait to have ski even looked at.. and they quoted a buddy 19k to replace 1 motor in his 2007 AR210--Ouch..They also Did replace a 2014 1.8L motor with broken chain(no warranty-dealer said "It will NOT be covered--But It Was Thanks Yami) Yami gave them 8k to do the swap -But they left it outside with seats and covers off , so now it looks like the wiring harness got chewed up from mice , because there is no power to dash or security But when you connect the battery the fuel pump would run and run...

Thread Information