+1

Garmin Oregon 700 GPS - change navigation line color?

Hi all,
    Looking for an upgrade from my GPSMap78SC.
    Bottom line is I need a GPS where I can modify the color of the magenta navigation line. (I'm slightly color blind).

The GPSMap78SC has been OK, but the screen is pretty small and you cannot change the color of the navigation line.

I need to be able to clearly see the navigation line against the blue color of the water on the map. Would want a high visibility color like yellow or orange.

I chatted with a Garmin CSR, but all they indicated was that the "track line" color could be changed. As I understand it, the Navigation line and Track line are different.

Navigation line shows where to go, whereas the track line shows you where you've been so you can track back.

Can anyone confirm that the Navigation line color can be changed?

I read the owners manual and didn't see any mention of that capability.

If not on the Oregon model, does any other manufacturer/model have the capability?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Why not switch to one of the echomap Garmin units and install it on your ski. There are so many more options available to these units and some are cheaper than the handheld versions.
    Last edited by K447; 01-16-2021 at 05:48 PM.

+1
    I'm open to suggestions on any model that would be suitable for a PWC and has a more visible navigation line.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    I'm open to suggestions on any model that would be suitable for a PWC and has a more visible navigation line.
    Years ago I had a Garmin 76 size model. The postage stamp screen was impossible to read at speed and showed far too little detail when zoomed out to show where I was going, and when zoomed in to see detail (like the ‘rock’ icon) it showed maybe a few hundred yards of water in front of my position.

I upgraded to a Garmin marine style chartplotter in seven inch size. Much, MUCH more readable while moving, I could see detail and the route ahead. That unit was accidentally damaged (off the water).

Now I have a Garmin nine inch screen echoMAP unit on each GP1800. Another big step up in readability, with lots of settings and options for line color, etc. With the upgraded marine charts it can auto-route from where I am to my destination, choosing a path that agrees with my minimum required depths and so on.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276315&p=3096077&viewfull=1#post3 096077

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    While the large Garmin screens are nice the 4 inch screen models work just as well and can be had for about 300 bucks. The other upside of this is that you can set up the sonar for depth readings and water temp readout. It runs off the ski power so it won’t ever go dead. It also draws so little power that accidentally leaving it on won’t kill your battery unless it’s left on for several days

Thread Information