Rebuild 2003 gtx sc 185 w/ oil cooler

Iím in the process of rebuilding my old seadoo and am wondering if I can simplify the cooling and oiling systems by converting to open loop cooling and then removing the external oil cooler.

My thought is that the cool Michigan water will do a better job keeping the engine cool I may not need the external oil cooler. Then I have less leak points in the oiling system, and a nice cool running engine.

+1
    And how do you plan to bypass the oil cooler when it is part of the oil circulation path? You can't just block the holes off.

Watch this video, it will explain it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=giv17zDyX88

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mulderab2 View Post
    I’m in the process of rebuilding my old seadoo and am wondering if I can simplify the cooling and oiling systems by converting to open loop cooling and then removing the external oil cooler.

My thought is that the cool Michigan water will do a better job keeping the engine cool I may not need the external oil cooler. Then I have less leak points in the oiling system, and a nice cool running engine.
    overall, its a bad idea as debris carried by lake water enters the engine cooling system it will accumulate and eventually cause some hot spots, which will result in engine failure.

Oil coolers are part and parcel of most high performance engines and in my experience one of the lesser fail points on a seadoo, unless improperly maintained. The exhaust system on the seadoo which uses lake water, is well know for debris causing all sorts of unpleasant problems, There are dozens of examples in the forum of users plagued by cloggage of the exhaust cooling water circuit

engines are designed to run at a specific temp range controlled by the thermostat. repeated shocking of the engine with cold water due to a faulty thermostat leads to all sorts of problems

rebuild it right, and it will go 500+ hours without anything other then plugs and oil changes

Thread Information