Pump Noise - Help

Hi Guys,

Installed a new Solas Prop (13\19) on my 2010 FXSHO last week. Prop went in well and made no unusual noises and all was fine on the water etc, after about 5 hours I noticed a a bearing like noise when washing down the Ski and running on the hose. Definately coming from pump area at back of Ski, but Ski is running fine on the water with no vibration and making good speed and RPM.
    I have herd props when they start to rub the Liner but that sound is more of a tinkle sound at idle, this sounds more like a dry bearing - I did need to use some release spay to get the old prop off and I am now worried some went into the bearing while I had it on the bench - soaked it over night!
    I will pull the pump out on the weekend to inspect, but what am I looking for other then rubbing on the liner (I have a full stainless Liner replaced years ago).
    I was riding in a river and there was a little debris after the rain and could have picked up some rubbish of course. How do you check the prop bearing? Will it be noisy if spun by hand? Could it be mid shaft bearing? I did lube the mid shaft bearing and hope I have not blown out the seal of something stupid.
    Anyway, what do you think? What am I up for, can you just replace bearing or do you need to replace shaft as well?

Thanks, looking forward to your responses.

Dave
    2010 FX SHO (245hrs)
    Temp today (97F or 37C) Sydney Aus.

+1
    Dave, when you get the pump out turn the shaft to make sure it spins freely. It should spin with a little effort and not make noise.
    Also, take your pump cone off and inspect the grease to ensure you don't have any water in the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Dave, when you get the pump out turn the shaft to make sure it spins freely. It should spin with a little effort and not make noise.
    Also, take your pump cone off and inspect the grease to ensure you don't have any water in the pump.
    Thanks So much GreenHulk,

Good tip on checking if any water has gotten into the nose cone, I know it was fine only 2 weeks ago when I changed the prop as I switched cones as well. The shafts and bearings are not cheap so hopefully wont have to be replaced. I will check and spin the prop on the bearing by hand carefully and report back.

Cheers

Dave

Update - Could not get the pump housing off with the tools I have, will have to buy a Pry bar. Lots of fine grit\dust sitting near the pump cone and down on the top of the ride plate, finer then sand and not seen that before. Could be alloy or stainless filings which would explain the noise I am hearing.

Will get some better tools thru week and try next weekend.

Cheers

Dave

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spi200 View Post
    Update - Could not get the pump housing off with the tools I have, will have to buy a Pry bar. Lots of fine grit\dust sitting near the pump cone and down on the top of the ride plate, finer then sand and not seen that before. Could be alloy or stainless filings which would explain the noise I am hearing.

Will get some better tools thru week and try next weekend.

Cheers

Dave
    Keep us posted Dave!

Update - Some progress today.

Got the back part of the pump off and I was able to take off the pump cone. Pump cone was full of water and de-void of any grease, had plenty of grease only a few weeks ago so I guess it has been washed\stripped out. Been in riding in fresh and salt water for a couple of weeks while on holidays so I guess the bearings are shot, not sure if this means the shaft will be damaged as well. Not got the back of the pump off yet, but can see some weed in and around the prop but otherwise looks in new condition (only month old).
    Water is probably getting past my bearing seal or the pump cone seal and will need to replace, is there a complete kit you can buy to replace the bearings and seals?
    I will have another go at the back of the pump on the weekend when I have a bit more time.

Cheers

Dave

Update - Finally got the pump off the Ski. Had to tie it up to the tow bar on the car and and winch the Ski forward, I applied some heat with a heat gun for 10mins and it popped right off. After a few weeks of delay the pump bearings are completely frozen, when I first noticed the problem it was just a different pitch when running on the hose so it did not take long.
    I read that the bearings are pressed in place and there are a couple of seals so I dropped the pump off to my local Ski repair center as I know they have the right tools and will put it all back together right - don't wont to go thru that again!
    Nothing else appears to be damaged and I started the ski with the pump out and there was no more strange noises. Guys at repair center said the pump housing may be damaged if the bearings had been spinning around while frozen, but I think I got to it early enough.
    I will post again when I get the bill and get it back in the Ski.

Cheers Dave

Final Update - Got the pump back from repairer today. Just needed a new bearing and seal kit installed, no damage to the prop shaft. Cost was a bit more then I expected but I know the job was done right. Cost $490 Aus or nearly US$400.
    Will be back on the water on the weekend.

Cheers

Dave

9. +1 by:

Thread Information