Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

96 slt700 no spark

Hi all, looking for some pointers. I have just picked up a 96 slt700 that has no spark, the guy said it lost spark and had tripped the 10a reset button. So he decided to replace the 10a reset with a 15a reset button after this he had spark for a while then it stopped. I have just got this ski and assume he has probably fried something, it winds over but has no spark. Any pointers on where to look or some trouble shooting help. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Ok so i have done a bit of testing and found that the brown wire from the cdi that should have 7-9 volt when cranking has full 12v battery power all the time. I disconnected the brown wire and did the stator test with a 9v battery and i get spark and ski runs. So i guess this means my cdi has failed would that be correct, has anyone else seen this problem before? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1 View Post
    Ok so i have done a bit of testing and found that the brown wire from the cdi that should have 7-9 volt when cranking has full 12v battery power all the time.

I disconnected the brown wire and did the stator test with a 9v battery and i get spark and ski runs.

So i guess this means my cdi has failed would that be correct? ...
    Check whether there is a wiring short or crossed wires in the electrical box related to the Brown stator wire and Brown CDI wire. There may be other brown wires in there that have nothing to do with the stator, and sometimes a wire just gets crushed into another or squashed terminals get pushed togther.

There is an alternate way to deliver a separate 8 volts to the stator, not using the CDI Brown output.
    Since your CDI sparks and the engine runs when using the 9 volt battery test this workaround Brown wire output might be what you need.

Details here
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2443258
    Last edited by K447; 01-15-2021 at 05:24 PM.

+1
    Hmm, usually the problem on brown wire is low or no voltage.
    I think there was one report of high voltage on brown.

But yeah, I agree your CDI has trouble.
    What part number is on the CDI ?

K447 has a write up to add a 9v voltage regulator to the brown wire.

I had done this to fix a CDI, eventually what ever else internally needed the 9v failed on my CDI.

Sounds as though you will have better luck since yours will run without the brown hooked up.
    Last edited by K447; 01-15-2021 at 05:26 PM.

I was thinking if I could do something like this for a seperate 9v supply. Do you know of anyone that has used this as a long term fix and how it went? I don't think I would find a cdi anywhere in New Zealand for it.

Cdi number is 105 552.02

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1 View Post
    ... a seperate 9v supply.

Do you know of anyone that has used this as a long term fix and how it went? ...
    I do not know how many people have used the alternate 8/9 volt source. In a few cases the initial reports were good and no updates since. At least one case the CDI subsequently failed entirely.

If you want to try it out for a ride or two just using the 9 volt battery, that would work. I do not know how many hours the battery would last, and you would have to disconnect the 9 volt battery after riding it for the day.

Rigging up the 8 volt regulator as documented is fairly quick work for someone who has an electronics background. If they have the parts at hand it takes almost no time to solder it together. The wires, crimp connectors and heat shrink are probably most of the project effort. Probably less futzing around than trying to fit a 9 volt battery in there and not short anything.

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2441928

This one has a diagram , somehow it is easier for me to understand.

Until recent shortages in CDI's , no one has really needed to do the modification.
    I had tried it on a GEN3 CDI to test it out, but like I mentioned with my style CDI other internal problems came up.

I do think it will work better for you based on your description.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2441928

This one has a diagram , somehow it is easier for me to understand.

Link does not work for me.

This diagram?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information