2015 310R steering repairs

Need the experts opinions on helping to repair my steering on my 2015 310R.
    The steering is tight and I believe it is from corrosion in the steering column. The bucket is free, the cable has no rust, bulges and has been lubricated with a cable lubricator and it didnt get any easier. I started to disassemble the steering but have some questions.
    Underneath the steering tube is a castle nut and cotter pin. (there was a lot of corrosion on the 4 screws holding the tube on and under the tube) I removed the nut and the plate the tube is bolted too has a "square" drive in the center from the actual steering shaft protrudes up from. Is that plate a press fit on that square shaft? Also I have a slight problem trying to get the steering cable off the bellcrank arm under the steering. As you know the little end fitting is spring loaded to release it from the stud ball on the lever arm. Well that collar is stuck and I can not release the cable end. I have sprayed it with PB blaster, but wont budge. And since that cable connects on the top side of the lever arm, there is no way to get to the top of the rod end to hit it or to even try to use vise grips to free the sliding collar.

anyone have any ideas on how to help?

thank you

+1
    Hmmm...

Can you go through the front to get to it? Take out the storage bin, then remove the access panel, remove the ECU and move the wires out of the way to get to it?

Hard to imagine that collar is stuck so bad. Is this a saltwater 'Ski?

I have gotten to the front of it by removing the ECU, but because the cable end is on the “top” of the steering arm, you don’t have a clear shot to the collar. Yes its a salt water ski. I did get the steering tube apart but getting to that collar is a PITA. I would hate to destroy it trying to get it free, because I’m likely to also destroy the cable. I guess I’m just going to have to keep soaking it with PB blaster and hope it frees up

+1
    I'm reluctant to suggest this, but you might carefully try to apply some heat on the collar with a pinpoint torch. Be extremely careful with any kind of flame around fuel and plastics. Adjust the flame as small as it will go and just apply it for a few seconds at a time. Perhaps follow that with touching an ice cube to it. The temperature changes might cause it to expand and contract enough to break it loose.

Finally got the rod end off and the steering lever down. Had a good bit of corrosion and what looked like salt deposits. Salt water is tough on these.
    So I modified the steering lever so I never have to take it apart again. Drilled and inserted a grease fitting so I can lube it as needed.
    The thing turns smooth as butter now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steering lever 2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	470472  

+1
    Excellent! Thanks for sharing!

Thread Information