New (old stock) Polaris hull stickers/label application

Hello, I am restoring a 96 Hurricane and 96 SLTX. I have some new OEM (3M) stickers for both skis, but of course, they are 24+ years old now.

Is there any trick to applying them due to their age? Maybe warm them up?

Figure I have one shot at applying them as they probably won't tolerate a lot of stretching if I have to make any alignment adjustments.

Thanks

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Use soapy water on the hull. Then you can slide the graphic around and position it exactly. Use an old credit card to squeegee the water out from under the decal. Let it sit a day to fully adhere.

+1
    I wonder if https://www.pwcgraphics.com/ would replicate them for you, in exchange for you sending yours in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Use soapy water on the hull. Then you can slide the graphic around and position it exactly. Use an old credit card to squeegee the water out from under the decal. Let it sit a day to fully adhere.
    So pull the backing page off with the glue/adhesive exposed and place with soapy water. The adhesive will then stick once water and soap dries?

+1
    I've done this -- not on a PWC -- and instead of a credit card, used a small urethane squeegee, they are available lots of places. I found a credit card edge too sharp and aggressive and unforgiving in applying graphics.

The soft edge of the urethane squeegee flexes well and does not grab and tear the decals.

Keep the surface wet with a spray mister bottle as you work.

Surfaces should be warm. Don't even attempt in cold weather.

Pay attention to the shape of the decals -- if they have jagged edges, obviously only squeegee from the center towards those edges, not away from them or at right angles, if that makes sense.

If your decals/stickers show any signs of cracking, don't even bother. You'll have a huge mess on your hands as soon as you start.

If they have been rolled up for years, gently flatten them out, weigh them down on a flat surface for days. Humidity and heat help.

Finally, if they are large (I was doing a truck) have a helper to hold the decals so you are not fighting gravity as you apply them.

Thanks. Just to be clear, you also coat the surface with soapy water first then position the decal on the hull.
    Quote Originally Posted by radio-active View Post
    I've done this -- not on a PWC -- and instead of a credit card, used a small urethane squeegee, they are available lots of places. I found a credit card edge too sharp and aggressive and unforgiving in applying graphics.

The soft edge of the urethane squeegee flexes well and does not grab and tear the decals.

Keep the surface wet with a spray mister bottle as you work.

Surfaces should be warm. Don't even attempt in cold weather.

Pay attention to the shape of the decals -- if they have jagged edges, obviously only squeegee from the center towards those edges, not away from them or at right angles, if that makes sense.

If your decals/stickers show any signs of cracking, don't even bother. You'll have a huge mess on your hands as soon as you start.

If they have been rolled up for years, gently flatten them out, weigh them down on a flat surface for days. Humidity and heat help.

Finally, if they are large (I was doing a truck) have a helper to hold the decals so you are not fighting gravity as you apply them.

+1
    That's how it worked for me, but I was following the manufacturers' instructions. I imagine it depends on the type of sticker or decal.

Traditional water-slide decals are applied to a wet surface.

If yours are stickers -- with an aggressive adhesive, well then I'm not certain.

Is there any printed instructions on the release paper? Or included with the kit?

No Instructions on the backing. It is adhesive glue on the back of the label though.

Thread Information