Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by randys View Post
    The most common causes for a burned hole in a piston are:

• air-leak in intake manifold or in crankcase seals (creating a lean mixture)
    • lean carb jetting (or fuel injector clogged)
    • too advanced ignition timing
    • too hot a spark plug range
    • too much oil ratio (displacing fuel=lean)
    • 87 octane fuel (too much oil also reduces octane further)
    A Ficht engine does not care much about mild crankcase or intake air leaks. The Ficht throttle plates have huge holes that intentionally allow plenty of air flow during partially closed throttle operation.

There is no fuel mixed with the air in the Ficht crankcase, only air and oily mist from the oil pump drip flow.

Ficht engines can run just fine on 87 octane gasoline, but with ethanol blended (oxygenated) fuel 89 octane is preferred. Since only one cylinder is (apparently) affected this suggests octane is not the root cause. That said, it would be good to check the other two piston tops for possible signs of lean erosion.

Ficht fuel injectors can go bad but this seems to be rather rare. If the injectors have been swapped around then it is possible for the fuel ‘compensation map’ programmed into the EMM to mis-match with the center injector, potentially creating a leaner fuel:air ratio.

It is possible to scan the bar code labels on the injectors and compare with the EMM injector data.

Sounds like good advice. Sealing on crankcase looks fine as well as all gaskets. I'm guessing filling the tank up 3/4 with 98 octane unleaded would have made premix oil fuel ratio miniscule.
    Plugs are new ngk correct platinum number.
    As far as I know injectors have not been off the hose rail. Still has original hose clamps umtampered.
    I'm still leaning towards ecu / injector. Scanning them sounds like a brilliant idea but can't prob need proper ecu tooling for info.

+1
    What country are you in?

+1
    He indicated he was from Australia. We have a few members there who have Digital Wrench (DW), the diagnostic software. With that and a cell phone QR code reader, you can determine if the injectors have been mis-matched to their cylinders. I'm speculating that is where K447 was going with his query.

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    He indicated he was from Australia. We have a few members there who have Digital Wrench (DW), the diagnostic software. With that and a cell phone QR code reader, you can determine if the injectors have been mis-matched to their cylinders. I'm speculating that is where K447 was going with his query.
    Yes in Australia. Oh cool that would be awesome if you could point me towards someone over here who could help. I'm in Western Australia. Cheers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGWA View Post
    ... I'm in Western Australia. ...
    Click on My Profile, top right of web site.

Add your location so others who might be nearby can offer help.

+1
    swan is a member in Australia and I'm pretty sure he has DW. I do't know what part of the country he resides within. He's a great guy. Utilize the forum's private message to reach out to him

We have another Australian member that I know of, but I'm having a senior moment and cannot remember his user name. It'll come to me....

+1
    bspanovic is the other Australian member. I believe he resides in Sydney. I don't know if that is close or not.

+1
    To verify the injectors are on the correct cylinder, you would only require DW, not a QR code reader. The injectors have S/N on their labels which are also displayed in DW. The only instance a QR code reader is required is to read the injector's coefficients. These are four numbers representing the injector's flow characteristics.

The coefficients are displayed in DW, but unfortunately, not editable. Up until a year or so ago, the only method to replace an injector was with new and the accompanying disk that loaded the coefficients into the DW replacement routine. A year or so ago, Ghost Installations provided a download link for his custom application whereas you can directly edited the injector coefficients within the EMM. Check the stickies for this if you find you need to replace an injector with a used unit. I don't believe they are available new any longer.

If you acquire a used injector, that is when you will need a QR code reader cell phone app. It will read the injector's S/N and the four coefficients in plain English. At first, I really struggled to get any (I tried a number) QR code apps to read. I finally found shining a flashlight or troublelight on the QR code while attempting to read it made all the difference and they would read instantly.

Msx140 leanout

Hi all , so checked the tank and regulator is intact
    and pressure was 20 psi when tested.
    I'm wanting to get the injectors and ecu tested.
    Where's best place?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information