Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

PLX - Multi-Gauge Phone App and GPS Speedo

Ok, I know this might sound odd but here it goes. So, I have 20 FX SVHO. Looking to add an AFR gauge. The PLX looks like a winner and the phone app really caught my eye. As many know, the 20 FX speedo is far from accurate. That's before you hit 70. After 70, it's completely worthless. I'm Stage 2 at this point so I'm in need of a speedo solution. Speed, AFR, Boost, Temp, RPM's...all would great to have and accuracy would be even better. So, it looks like the PLX system uses ODB II for speed. From what I understand, the ski doesn't offer a dedicated OBD port so I'm scratching my head.

Ram mount has a pretty slick phone holder with wireless charging. I use my S20+ phone in a waterproof case as my speedo, stereo head unit, nav and everything else. It's great to have mounted on the left ram mount base. Works great and charges phone all day. The phone app on the PLX would be super slick on that same setup. Meaning, I use their phone app for all the gauges at once, including speed.

Has anyone tried to do something like this before? Can I get speed, rpms, AFR and boost to work through the Multi-Gauge adapter?

A side note, I contacted the folks at candoopro. They're the ones with the gps adapters that help folks achieve gps speeds vs the unreliable wheels. They tell me they offer no ODB but they output 5v pulses.

Side note, would love to overlay that PLX telemetry over GoPro vids. Advice or info there would be appreciated too.

If someone has a similar option, I'm all ears!
    Last edited by ShawnInFL; 01-07-2021 at 11:56 PM.

I have the plx afr unit connected to my phone as I didn’t want to run clunky gauges to the ski.

I also have a candoo gps but that replaces the main signal to the dashboard. If you have a gopro it will capture your gps speed anyway
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70BDF2EB-EF4A-4AD5-A17A-679C42003AC7.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	470292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B37C7D6-BFC3-41F9-8D51-2469455C6B12.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	470293  

+1
    Is it this kit:
    SM-AFR WIDEBAND + MULTIGAUGE LINK COMBO (GEN5)
    Looks like a pretty great price for what's in the kit. Only $169

https://www.plxdevices.com/ProductDe...02870&CartID=1

Are you using the app for AFR only? Makes sense I wouldn't need the actual gauge if viewing on the app. Wish there was a way to get the PLX to see the candoo stand alone as gps speed input. If only the ski had OBD2. That would be so cool to have all that info realtime beside the dash. Maybe I'll add the SM-Pro someday and tinker.

I see folks are using the GoPro as their speed overlay. Had seen reports where it wasn't always that accurate though. Maybe it's better in the hero 9.
    Last edited by ShawnInFL; 01-08-2021 at 06:21 PM.

+1
    Ordered the above kit and downloaded GPS Speedometer and Odometer app. Will use both in split screen mode on my S20+ to achieve AFR gauge on bottom along with GPS Current Speed, Distance and Max Speed (easily resettable) on the top. Pretty easy solution and the accuracy of the speedo app seems right inline with my vehicle. Will stick with GoPro telemetry overlay for now. I put a pic of the Ram Wireless Charging Phone holder too. With a Ram pedastal mount and waterproof case, it's a super convenient combo. Phone controls the music and the dry box stays dry. I'll get a pic of it on the ski soon enough and post it here as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210109-225507_MultiGauge.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	470309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAM-HOL-UN14WB-V7M.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	470310  

+1
    I just started looking into this setup as well and am super intrigued.

I wanna be able to monitor boost and A/F at the same time. I wish u could feed it a pulse for RPM that would be amazing.

This along with a simple screen recording video would really work foe a simple data log as well.

+1
    Ask forgot to ask. Can anyone who has used this setup comment on how the response times are for A/F and boost? Curious how much of a delay there is from throttle blip to readout on screen?

thanks

+1
    I run a Innovative PBS-1. It has 5 screens.
    boost recall
    Innovative PBS-1
    large boost
    Boost only
    wide band inly
    large boost, with small air fuel
    large air fuel, with small boost.

Shows both at same time. And my iPhone is not out of the glove box.

+1
    I had this setup in effect earlier today. Was cold, but I took the GoPro out and shot video of my OEM dash and my phone to the left. The PLX app only monitors AFR and battery at this point. I will upload some video and post a link. Wanted to check my GoPro 9 GPS against my phone GPS too. I'm happy to report my S20+ not only ran the GPS speedo app real time on the top half of the screen but the PLX multi-gauge worked like a champ on the bottom at the same time. Where I was really stoked, the phone also allowed a second, simulations Bluetooth connection between my phone and JBL bluetooth receiver connected to my rockford amp. Translation, gps speed, AFR and YouTube music all running at the same time. I'm happy with the results. How times have changed lol. As for response time on the PLX app, it seemed to be doing the job for sure. They offer another module called the SM-PRO for boost and other sensors. Maybe I'll add later ��

+1
    Well, as promised, here's a video of my PLX setup. It's was a very sunny, yet very cold, day in FL. Keep in mind, this was first run with new tune, new fuel pump and regulator as well as the PLX sensor. Also, the first time using my new GoPro 9. There's lots of glare and the camera bumps up from the wind making it hard to see the AFR gauge. The finger print sticker on my waterproof case made it that much harder lol. Is what it is and I will get another vid soon enough with more clarity. You can see the speed of the sensor/app though. Hope it helps.

Lake Lion
    +1
    I see you're at 13.8 afr wide open @ 9500 rpm. I hope that is just because "cold" out and not your normal ratio.

And that ski is begging for a 17# wheel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information