Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Yeah man, brand new tune, very cold conditions for us. Ski just had a bunch of upgrades including fuel pump and regulator, VXR NA Cams and retainers. Was literally the first test run. Fuel was at 60 psi, have reg at 65 now and hoping to get another test in on Friday to prep for a full day of riding on Sunday. Input always appreciated. What do you see a 17 wheel doing for me. Still on stock wheels and shaft right now. Always looking for more speed, I'm good on the RPM's though for sure. Have always wanted an 85 mph ski. Thinking once I work out the AFR, ride with less fuel and a smoother day, I'll crack that nut finally. Hoping to see it on Friday. Still fighting the dreaded bounce that these 20 machines are notorious for though. Needs some dialing in for sure.

A side note about the newer skis. With the "key" in, press and hold stop, then tap start. This allows the fuel and gauges to be activated without actually turning over the motor. Great for checking fuel, battery and such before you ride without turning over the motor. One tap start too. Meaning you don't have to hold down the start button until it starts. Just a single tap like the newer cars and trucks. Nice! Sometimes you actually learn something from RTFM. (Reading The F@#&! Manual)

+1
    Just for reference. On my ski with stock wheel, and injectors.

I am always shooting for 11.8-12.0 AFR and after playing with it in different weather this year.

54 Psi fuel = temps being 60-70 degrees
    52 psi fuel = temps being 70-80 degrees
    50 psi fuel = temps being 80-90 degrees

I have tried 49 psi when it was 90 out side. but that's the dead heat of summer, and not going to get the speed I need out of it anyway, so not really worth leaning back out. 49 got it a little closer to 11.8 but at this heat it was still low 11s.

in my notes:

8/5/220 90 air temp:
    53 psi fuel, 11.0-11.2 AFR 8660 rpms
    then dropped to 50 psi fuel, and 11.5-11.7 afr 8880 rpms
    Then tried 49 psi and got 11.7-12.0 afr 8680 rpms (heat soaked like a mother after multiple pulls and stuff in heat)

8/20/2020 85 air temp:
    50 psi -11.8-12.0. then did a LONG pull and it creeped richer as motor got hotter 11.4 by the end of the pull
    48 psi -12.5 afr. for sec. that was it never did that again. SO those 3 settings where my basic, set and go for the weekend numbers. Keeps the ski in upper 11s afr wise if temps are on the cool side / bottom end of the temp range, and at the top end of the temp range it will be on the rich side and low 11s afr.
    Last edited by mittens; 01-19-2021 at 10:02 AM.

+1
    Thanks Mittens, a log is a great idea. Will keep one myself and keep your notes for comparison as well. I see you're in AL, similar environment I'm sure. Hot and humid summers are not our friends when it comes to speed. They sound pretty good this morning though with frost on my roof lol. It'll be gone before 10am is the good news.

+1
    I use the notes app on my iPhone for a lot of things, part numbers and stuff on all my cars/bikes/boats. mod list ect..
    so when out on ski tuning or even just riding and make a WOT pass will record the temp, speed, RPM, boost. its nice to be able to go back and find something similar to make sure its running the same or if a there is a difference.

I also keep a log of parts installed, and service work like oil changes, or swapping parts out. put engine hours, and the date so I know when I did something.

+1
    That was my plan as well. Like you, notes on the phone are the way to go. Sure make it easy when doing oil changes, buying maintenance parts. I always make note of the socket sizes too, makes it that much quicker. I see you are a Logistics Analyst. Meticulous notes and attention to detail have to come natural lol. Will certainly come in handy on that Turbo build you're doing now. Curious to see the reply from Hotbutta regarding the 17# wheel. I see you use one right now. I realize the FZ is a proven faster hull than my new FX, but 91 at 9100 is impressive man. What did swapping to the 17 do for you and what might it do for me?

Lake Lion
    +1
    We get right at 90 on the FX with 17# and a couple of more tweaks than you show. But NJ has better air and water.

Don't touch the regulator yet. Let Dean know your AFR's and tell him to give you the Cruise Tune. Then adjust from there.

How does it get to 9500 rpm? What kind of reflach are you running?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YamahaSHO View Post
    That was my plan as well. Like you, notes on the phone are the way to go. Sure make it easy when doing oil changes, buying maintenance parts. I always make note of the socket sizes too, makes it that much quicker. I see you are a Logistics Analyst. Meticulous notes and attention to detail have to come natural lol. Will certainly come in handy on that Turbo build you're doing now. Curious to see the reply from Hotbutta regarding the 17# wheel. I see you use one right now. I realize the FZ is a proven faster hull than my new FX, but 91 at 9100 is impressive man. What did swapping to the 17 do for you and what might it do for me?
    I do not have a 17 lbs wheel. I have a stock wheel in the supercharger, but its making 16.8lbs on the norm. To get 90-91 mph, I have to be in 60-65 degree weather, and then it spins 9100 rpms and the boost gets to 17lbs. seen 18.1 once but think that's from it coming unhooked.

my 90mph runs are few and far between but it has happened. Normally full of fuel, and beer, and Alabama heat, its 87-88 mph and 8800 rpms. and 16.2-16.8 lbs of boost.

Hopefully with turbo, 20 lbs of boost, and 90-95 all the time is the hope.... and no more clutch worries.
    Last edited by mittens; 01-19-2021 at 01:54 PM.

+1
    hotButta - Just got the machine back from Dean, he tuned it after the cam and retainers. He also added a 80mm nozzle, Riva HP Fuel Pump and Regulator along with a re-pitch on the prop. He suggested I kick the pressure up to 65 since I was running 13's on the AFR at 60 psi. Again, it was a very cold day. Wondering what it does on the warmer days like this weekend. Not sure I want to bug him for another tune just yet lol. On the 17# wheel, what kind of rpms are you seeing to get the 90 range. Excuse my ignorance, but since I'm already achieving such high rpms, what would the wheel do for me? Assuming more rpms would mean more speed? The motor is screaming already (for me anyway). For the record, my low and mid range feel really good right now. Not a fan of dead starts so I really don't get any cavitation to speak of with this current setup.

Alex46- I'll put my current list of mods below in this post. As far as which reflash, he did it for the ski while he had it in the shop. Not really a specific flash.

Mittens - I see, read 17 lbs on your signature, that assuming thing got me again :P Sounds like we ride about the same. Ice and beer, mine in front though and I added a stereo (some extra weight), full tank of fuel with mostly hot days above the 80 degree mark. We're on lots of water, many connecting lakes. Makes for long runs with our share of no wake in between. Wondering what I'm gonna see once I have ran out the 93 pump gas and forced to refill with marina 87-91 ethanol free. Don't have a choice sometimes. Running these higher rpms, I'm sure I will be visiting the marina's more than usual. I'll never BS my numbers, but I would love to capture a video in this colder weather of me cracking that 85 for the record lol

CURRENT MODS:
    2020 FX Cruiser SVHO - Red
    Fizzle Y-1000
    Turbosmart BOV (tap@manifold)
    13-18 Solas Pitched by Dean
    Custom Tune by Dean - The Best!
    Dean's Cut OEM Ride Plate (2nd Gen)
    Dean's Modified 82mm Nozzle
    Yamaha VXR N/O Cams I&E
    Worx Water Cooling Kit
    Riva Titanium Retainers
    Riva Thru Hull Exhaust
    Riva Power Filter
    Riva Top Loader Intake Grate
    Riva Pro Sponsors (top position)
    Riva Intake Manifold Upgrade
    Riva Fuel Pressure Reg Kit
    Riva High Vol Fuel Pump Kit
    Riva O2 Sensor Kit
    PLX Bosch O2 SM-AFR BT Kit
    JBL BT Receiver
    400w 2 Ch Rockford Amp
    8" Kicker Cans - Red LED's
    XS Power 2nd Battery
    Battery Isolator
    Ram Phone Holder w/Wireless Charging
    Triton Trailer with Single Torsion Axle
    Last edited by ShawnInFL; 01-21-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Lake Lion
    +1
    You said that you wanted to save gas. Thats what that cruiser tune does under 8000 rpm. After that, its balls to the bar. It's perfect for what you want since you're not a dig racer, like most of my guys. That 17# wheel will allow you the same speed at a lower RPM or higher speed at the same RPM. Dean would be glad to give you a new tune with the new wheel.

11. +1 by:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information