Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ontario - Georgian Bay - 91 Octane Marina's???

Good day,

Wasn't sure where to post this. Anyone here ride in the Georgian Bay area (Midland area)???

Was just wondering if any one new of any Marina's in the area has 91 Octane??

Phoned a few and most just offer marine grade 89 without ethanol.

Could very well affect a purchase decision. Only one I can think of is in Honey Harbor.

Please and thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    This is my solution. Carry extra fuel on longer trips.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3095115

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This is my solution. Carry extra fuel on longer trips.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3095115

100lbs of fuel on the back, or 3 bottles of Torco in front bin weighing 3lbs. 16oz Torco or Boostane bottles to top up to 93 when you can't find it. OP is asking about octane not extending range, we know your very knowledgeable and super proud of your fuel carrying ratchet strap system. But I don't believe that was his question.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Iseem to remember buying 91 octane fuel on the water there last summer when I was there

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
    100lbs of fuel on the back, or 3 bottles of Torco in front bin weighing 3lbs.
    16oz Torco or Boostane bottles to top up to 93 when you can't find it.

OP is asking about
    octane...
    We have ridden fairly long distances in portions of the Georgian Bay Area, mostly Waubashene to Parry Sound, also Port McNicoll and around Nottawasaga Bay. There are only a handful of fuel docks scattered along the routes, sometimes with big gaps in between. As the OP posted, most marine fuel docks have either 89 or 87 octane fuel. There may be a few with 91 octane gasoline but I have not encountered them.

Georgian Bay riding is one of the reasons I created the rear deck auxiliary fuel carrying arrangement. I do not need to plan my travel routes to match with fuel dock locations and I do not have to manage sub-91 octane fuel considerations.

Sometimes I will carry 93 octane auxiliary fuel and mix it 50-50 with 89 from the fuel docks. That effectively creates 91 octane (which is what my engine is tuned for) and doubles the travel range per fuel can on the back deck.

Each fuel can carries around 5 gallons and I normally carry only one or two cans per machine, at maybe 40 pounds each. A single full fuel can on the back deck has no noticeable effect on ride, handling or performance.

Octane booster is not the same result as using gasoline of the required octane level. I do not use the product but I recall reading about side effects ranging from spark plug contamination to tune incompatibility.

Torco contains MMT. Unclear whether that is compatible with marine use, from a water pollution perspective.
    2,2,4 - Trimethylpentane
    Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl

Given the beating that gear stowed in the front storage compartment sometimes endures, potential leakage from flammable fuel additive cans might be a concern.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pwc_brick View Post
    Good day,

Wasn't sure where to post this. Anyone here ride in the Georgian Bay area (Midland area)???

Was just wondering if any one new of any Marina's in the area has 91 Octane??

Phoned a few and most just offer marine grade 89 without ethanol.

Could very well affect a purchase decision. Only one I can think of is in Honey Harbor.

Please and thanks
    What models are you considering? How far might you ride during a typical day on the water?

Will you be refueling roadside on the trailer after a day on the water or always buying fuel from marinas?

Wow, thanks for all the comments. It's a cottage so more like park at the dock for the weekend kind of thing (fuel dolly if desperate) as opposed to loading/offloading all the time. Came from a heavily modded gp1300r so naturally wanted to go with the gp1800 SVHO to "get back in the game" so to speak. Typical trips are around 50km (destination and back) aside from just going out into the open bay for a bit. I may hold off of purchasing until next year now, will do more investigating on the water this year to see what I can find (phoning marinas in winter, surprising how many don't know what type of gas they have on the gas dock).

Anyway, thanks again... Got a long wait for the spring summer now!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pwc_brick View Post
    ... It's a cottage so more like park at the dock for the weekend kind of thing (fuel dolly if desperate) ...

... wanted to go with the gp1800 SVHO ... I may hold off of purchasing until next year now, will do more investigating on the water this year to see what I can find (phoning marinas in winter, surprising how many don't know what type of gas they have on the gas dock).

I have been reading reports of Yamaha dealers in southern Ontario having already sold out of their 2021 allocations for GP1800R. Might want to ask around, see if any of the smaller dealers have nay available, look to the north and also farther east/west

Many ontario marinas do not know what octane gasoline they have at the doc. Sometimes neither the gas dock staff (summer) nor the front desk/office know off the top of their heads. Some have the octane posted near the pump, but many do not.

One option is to call/message the consumer relations desk at each fuel brand. Ask them if they know what octane gasoline they supply to their marina customers.

Last time I spoke with Shell Canada they told me they only supply 91 octane no-ethanol gasoline to their marine locations. Because only Shell 91 has no ethanol. And ethanol can be troublesome for marine locations.

+1
    I run two NA FX HO machines which require only 87 octane. When I trade these I'll also question if I should go with the SVHO that some of my friends run. When long distance riding at 55 mph + the SVHO can consume almost double the fuel not to mention the added cost of 91 octane.

I think that your choice of engine should also be the type of riding that you do. Long distance all day riding HO all the way! SVHO does get you get bragging rights, better acceleration and top speed but higher fuel costs and long term potential SC repairs. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YYZ View Post
    ... two NA FX HO machines which require only 87 octane.

... long distance riding at 55 mph + the SVHO can consume almost double the fuel ...
    What is the source for this data?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information