08 GTX Supercharger - rebuild or not to rebuild??

I plan to pick up an 08 GTX SC ski with about 70 hours. My question is - to rebuild the SC now or wait?

I know that there are known bearing issues with these units and I also know that it is recommended to rebuild after 100 hours. My experience also teaches me that I need to be suspect of the motor mounts (a new set is cheap insurance).

While I am there, do I bite the bullet and have the SC rebuilt? It will cost some bucks but it is cheaper than a new motor...

Thoughts?

+1
    Wait for what? You have a 13 y/o ski. Although the owners manual suggests rebuilding every 100 hours, most also recommend every 100 hours or 2 years, whichever comes first. IMO, you're way past the recommended interval.

Other than a 15-30 minute test ride prior to purchase, I would not ride that ski until the SC is rebuilt.

Rebuilding that supercharger is a must asap. I would have a hard time running that ski until its rebuilt. $600 to rebuild if you send it out to someone or 3 to 5 thousand for a new motor when it blows and takes the motor out. You can always rebuild it yourself in house also. Its not that hard if you have the tools.

4. +1 by:

+1
    PM sent

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomjay View Post
    I plan to pick up an 08 GTX SC ski with about 70 hours. My question is - to rebuild the SC now or wait?

I know that there are known bearing issues with these units and I also know that it is recommended to rebuild after 100 hours. My experience also teaches me that I need to be suspect of the motor mounts (a new set is cheap insurance).

While I am there, do I bite the bullet and have the SC rebuilt? It will cost some bucks but it is cheaper than a new motor...

Thoughts?
    Definitely rebuild it now. It's not worth the risk of a bearing failing. The GreenHulk Store offers a rebuild service here
    https://www.4-tecperformance.com/ind...oducts_id=5170

Definitely do it. $500-$600 if you can remove it and send it off for a rebuild, ~$1000 if you just take the ski in and have them do it all.

Thread Information