Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2021 RXPX observations

I was able to trade in a 2018 RXPX for a 21. The weather cleared up enough today that I put it in the water and took it to my house short ride but I figured I'd list some comparisons and impressions.

First off before running it, I installed an oil breather and catch can that I removed from my 2018 before trade in. Removing the seat now with the saddle is a bit more tedious. Then with the seat removed there is very little room to do anything. I had to remove the back deck area which takes about 13 screws. The front 2 screws have nuts and washers attached which I bet many guys will lose those in the hull. The other 11 screws are easily removed. Once the rear platform is removed the access is very good to much of the engine area. The layout of various things like the battery, ecu, etc is different. With the battery being easier to access and with just the seat being removed.

The sponsons do not appear to be adjustable. Although I never took mine out of the neutral setting on the 2018. The handlebars do not go up/down like the 2018 no big loss here either in my opinion.

Probably the highlight of the redesign for me is the cell phone holder. I have busted so many cell phones riding PWCs this item is long overdue. Lately phones have been more durable and simply placing them in a ziplock wrapped in a towel worked for me a few years now but the holder is a nice feature.

The gauge is missing some info I used to watch on the 2018 and that is the engine temp. I would monitor that as the analog gauge already had speed and rpm. Not critical but it would be nice to have the option and I couldn't seem to pull it up at all on this gauge.

I only rode it about 20 min to the dock and here is what I picked out so far.

Cruise control feature is nice and so is the idle/slow speed adjustment.

The steering/handle bars felt smoother. They turned really easily whereas the 2018 had some significant resistance.

This hull doesn't lean nearly as much as the 2018, rides much flatter. It still carves super hard just doesn't lean in as much.

The speed/acceleration etc is tbd since breakin period is still in affect, but I'd assume not much has changed with the 300 engine so that should be about the same.

I'll ride it some more this afternoon and take it into the gulf to see how it handles the chop and report some more.

Rode it another hour. The biggest difference I can tell now is how stable the hull is. I kinda liked how the older model was a bit unstable as that made it fun to ride. This thing is very planted. I rode at 50mph on the gunnel of one side and it barely leaned over.

Handling through chop and waves is about the same so far. There wasn’t any big surf but there was a good chop in the bay and offshore and it cuts through nicely like the older hull.
    The pump also cavitates much less. Seems like it stays hooked up more. Generally I think it’s overall a better platform than the old one.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I am considering adding a 21 to my stable. I was able to examine one for the first time last week. Your static observations and mine are the same. I noted that the seat(s) removal is not so simple and involves three sections. Replacing the little back bolster is very tough to attach the strap in its little grove. The opening of the engine compartment feels much smaller and you can't visualize the drive train or hoses without removing the back cover plate. I always remove the seat and dry my ski out completely after each ride. This seat makes that much more tedious.

Interesting that you found the ride flatter. With the softer rounder outer chine, I would have expected a more inside lean as had been reported by some other riders. Looking forward to hearing more reports from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    I am considering adding a 21 to my stable. I was able to examine one for the first time last week. Your static observations and mine are the same. I noted that the seat(s) removal is not so simple and involves three sections. Replacing the little back bolster is very tough to attach the strap in its little grove. The opening of the engine compartment feels much smaller and you can't visualize the drive train or hoses without removing the back cover plate. I always remove the seat and dry my ski out completely after each ride. This seat makes that much more tedious.

Interesting that you found the ride flatter. With the softer rounder outer chine, I would have expected a more inside lean as had been reported by some other riders. Looking forward to hearing more reports from you.
    Compared to most other skis it does lean. Compared to any other RXPX it’s much flatter and much more stable. I weigh 200 and literally out all my weight down on one side of the gunnel and it barely tipped any while riding.

Would make 2-up easier too which is ironic that it comes with a 1-up only seat now. I hardly ever ride 2-up but it’s just an observation.

6. +1 by:

+1
    What's the latest on your thoughts? I may sell my 18 to move to the 21 also.

Can you tell me how the hull “works” with offshore conditions? Going on to a wave? Or sideways? What about reliability? How has that changed

Going to a wave “sideway” is always fun.. onless Off ahore. Still fun but takes experience

+1
    Rode one last week. All I will say is that I will not be getting rid of my 2017 anytime soon.

+1
    Ours is being delivered to the dealer this week. Can't wait!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Ours is being delivered to the dealer this week. Can't wait!
    Looking forward to your performance review and numbers. With the 67 pound weight drop, the numbers should be the best of any ski available. Of course adding the additional fuel will net you considerably less than the 67 pounds difference over the previous gen. Should still give you better HP to weight ratios and acceleration numbers than the 21 GP that you and Greg have posted. Get R Done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information