Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I pulled the carbs out to take a look. There was gas all over them. I took a look at two of the 3 needles. The pic with the shade background is the PTO, the other in the daylight is the mag. They both have little grooves etched into them, I don't think that's normal right? Like I said in my previous post, I did a partial rebuild, new diaphragms and gaskets and gave them a good cleaning, but these are the original needles and seats and jets. Does that seem like the issue in your opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20201222_140819.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	469801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20201222_140703.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	469802  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I can tell you that groove is not supposed to be there in the needles. (should replace)

You should do a pop off test to make sure you're within spec as well.

Did you verify the "arm" that unseats the needle is sitting level? If it's angled up, it may pull the needle off prematurely

Double check all your carb settings are correct.

Check to make sure your carbs are in sync too. (all throttle plates open at the EXACT same time, and the EXACT same amount)

Is the clear plastic flap on the back side of the jet block in good shape?

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I can tell you that groove is not supposed to be there in the needles. (should replace)

You should do a pop off test to make sure you're within spec as well.

Did you verify the "arm" that unseats the needle is sitting level? If it's angled up, it may pull the needle off prematurely

Double check all your carb settings are correct.

Check to make sure your carbs are in sync too. (all throttle plates open at the EXACT same time, and the EXACT same amount)

Is the clear plastic flap on the back side of the jet block in good shape?

Sorry I thought I had replied earlier to this. So here's the update:

I've replaced needles and seats and confirmed the arm is level. Pop-off test was within specs on all 3 carbs
    Just reinstalled carbs after going through sync process again, all is well there.
    I replaced the clear flap in my first carb rebuild so those are brand new.

Results after starting and revving today: Same. Exact. Issue.

I did notice some fuel noticeably leaking from the backside of the mag carb. I removed carbs, replaced hoses and inspected for cracks, removed the fuel hose side cover on the carb and inspected the rubber gasket to ensure it was in place, reinstalled carbs, it seemed fixed but sure enough started leaking a bunch of fuel on the back side. I'm not sure where this fuel is coming from yet but I'm ready to throw a match inside of it. ��

+1
    So fuel is leaking out of the carb, not on the inside?

Yes it's coming off of the fuel hose side of the mag cylinder. I'll be taking the carbs back off soon to see if I can figure it out. This thing is driving me nuts.

+1
    OK, slow down and take your time. Something is obviously not right.

The only thing that can possibly leak fuel from the back of the carb is an O ring. Make sure it's not broken and is oriented correctly.

Make sure your screws holding the back cover on are tight. Torque them in a diagonal pattern in graduated steps. (bottom right, snug To left, snug, top right, snug, Bottom left snug. Then start with 1/4 turn more in sequence until all are tight)

Make sure your fuel hose clamps are sound and in good standing.

Now going back through your last post, you mentioned after doing the carb rebuilds, the ski is doing the exact same thing. What is it doing? I thought we were chasing an oily/sludgy exhaust

Interesting occurance...I've never seen that before.

Well, I've finally got my answers for this thing after it's been with a good local mechanic for a few weeks. He basically went through everything I had already done and here's the findings:

Spark was weak and sometimes not firing leading to unburnt fuel spitting out of the excess causing the sludge to happen.

The leaking fuel out of the carb was due to the aftermarket carb kit I used to rebuild them. A gasket on the back of the mag carb was just a hair too small and letting fuel by.

After replacing the coils, rebuilding carbs again with oem kit, replacing the cdi, it still acted the same way and wouldn't rev up all the way. Little more digging....bad stator. Runs like a champ now. Thanks all for your help input, this is a great forum.

+1
    Oh yes, the 'ol chasing multiple issues thing. Done that! Glad it's sorted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information