Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    +1

SVHO Turbo Sizing / General questions on turbo builds

Ok putting parts together for a turbo build on my ski.

I have yet to find the adapter / collector I need and want. Would rather have a billet piece but can make it with what I have. Plan to scan a new gasket with a 3d scanner and then mill a exact flange out of 1/2 stainless, then tig weld in stainless the water jacketed pipe to V band collector, and have dual ports like a few on here have done as well. (Unless I can get an adapter first)

So comes the time to pick a turbo. The comp oilless one are neat, but they are not any cheaper, and running a oil lines should not be a issue. One assumption is I can use the oil feed my Riva super charger shaft is using, basically a tap at the oil pressure sensor, and feed that to the turbo of choice, and run the drain to the super charger block off. Can use the factory block off plate from HO, and the oil pump gear from a HO as well. Rremoving the clutch (main point for me doing turbo), remove idle gear, and blower. If this is not correct or will cause issues I am all ears.

Turbos.... I had planned to use a EFR BW turbo, BUT I want to water jacketed turbine housing. Tial seems to be the only company producing a housing. The rest are just fabricators welding jackets around the housing with a water inlet and outlet feeding the new jacket on the normal turbine housing. Tial is made to fit the GT30 and GTX30 turbos with a internal wastegate. One forum member has suggested GTX3076r as a turbo, and so far has been what I am shopping. I want to say that I am building this for Pump gas, stock internals SVHO, so 20 psi ish is the goal. Not some drag only ski. This will be my only ski, drink beers ride creeks and rivers, trip to the beach a time or 2 a year ski. But I want it to spool fast but also not run out of room on the top end. Any suggestions? is the gtx3071r too small? risk running out of juice? so far 1349 for a Garret GTX3076R super core (without turbine housing) is the best deal I have found.
    Last edited by mittens; 01-04-2021 at 04:34 PM.

+1
    subscribed

gtx3076r pulls like a truck on only 17psi

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    WFO has a spare Motec for sale for Yamaha you will need this for tuning unless you want to send your ecu back and forth to deans. I also have a turbo tuned ecu by dean for a 2017 gp1800 that I would sell for 600

Go with the GTX 2ND gen turbo, screw all that oil less crap. I have a garrent 3071 2nd gen and i love it.

+1
    1_Fast_SHO -- figured ha... maybe you will come through with that adapter...

bryan.daniel1990@gmail.co -- How much are you having to regulate it at 17lbs? how's spool up?

ultramaxracing05 -- What kind of boost are you running with the 3071? Are you close to running out of head room if you shoot for 20 psi in the summer? How much are you having to regulate using the boost controller? I plan to use my deans ECU I have just send it back for his turbo tune, and update injectors and fuel pump.

as stated basically 3071 or 3076 is going to be my choice. pluses and minus's of each? The tail housing, sure is a pricy little thing too. I know a few have run the turbine not water jacketed, some make there own as stated. Any thoughts on this? 100% water cooled, or not a big deal get a blanket and water cool the pipes? opwn to thoughts, but leaning to the Tial housing to be cool all the way.
    Last edited by mittens; 12-04-2020 at 10:01 AM.

SVHO Turbo Sizing / thoughts from the ones who have done it

very stupid question why not use a stock honda aquatracks turbo i saw one brand new for 1600

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seabrook View Post
    very stupid question why not use a stock honda aquatracks turbo i saw one brand new for 1600
    Not a big enough turbo, not V band, not as efficient. a lot of reason. Turbos are not all the same,
    Last edited by mittens; 12-04-2020 at 10:23 AM.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Yes I have read and watched that thread. similar to what I am going after, reliable, no clutch issues, mid 90s. But I DO NOT want a rear mount. I have found multiple people and pipes to buy to rear mount them and its a lot easier. But I want my rear storage bucket....and I do not want to move the mid wall. I use the ski 99% of the time to go out after work and play and have a few beers. I used s spare rear bucket with the lid cut off and ground smooth as a small cooler, easy access.. and frees up from for normal dry storage. that is my main hang up, to keep all storage and midwall. So I am working to mount the turbo front like the old GRF set up, or possibly above the manifold depending on size once I have turbo with turbine housing in hand. can plan the up pipe routing.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information