2004 FX with bad MR-1 engine - what to do?

Happy Thanksgiving. I see this is a bit older thread but amazing work you did. Good info.

I have a question about the Mr-1. I acquired an FX 2004 and its in ok condition. No, not garage kept or any of that . It was on a lift outside in Fl. but covered. I picked it up as it would not start. I think it has roughly 200 hrs on it ?

It had water and oil in the hull so obviously not good. I learned a hard lesson and that is I should have torn it down fairly quickly because at the time it did turn over with the starter just no start. 0 compression in 2 cylinders after getting it home and I let it sit with all the craziness of last few months and backlog of parts and everything.

Well, fast forward, I tore it down and what a disaster ! The valves are stuck open , pistons are stuck ( not sure how bad but couple tries of different oils and sitting and nope, next will be a can of coke! ) Its a milky white mess and I think its pretty much toast unfortunately.

I am asking because everything I see for parts for these is insane and wondered if there are any sources or ?? you can steer me to so I can decide whether its even worth messing with anymore? The gage cluster is worn almost unreadable, I have been looking at various parts needed and the prices are very high. I am fairly close to SBT and have not really read much good about them.

That leaves my options ? I did run a couple ads here and there asking for a running engine/ donor ski but 0 replies yet. I spotted reman engines for $3k and thought no way. Its not worth it.

I am sorta leaning towards selling /parting it out I guess but that was not my intention at the time. Any advice I appreciate and have a great thanksgiving.
    Last edited by K447; 11-26-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Have you owned or ridden PWC before you purchased this one?

Was this FX often used in salt water?

Other than the hull itself, what on this 2004 FX is in ‘good’ condition?
    Jet pump?
    Seat, traction mats, handlebar condition?

+1
    If it cranked before (during the compression test), it's quite possible that the impeller is binding on the inside of the jet pump. Water gets between the liner and pump housing, causing corrosion, which causes the liner to swell. This swelling pushes it into the impeller.

Did water get inside the engine? Have you pulled the head off?

+1

+1
    Most 2004-2008 broken skis I ever see are ones that have thrown rods - hence oil in the hull. The mr1 (HO 1100cc) seemed to have been pushed to their upper limits, and the dry sump design makes them flakey IMHO.

I know you live close (and so do I), but yes, stay clear of sbt remans and their so-called (new/premium) cloned mr1. They have their market niche - mainly to cater to ski-flippers whom need something to run long enough to make a quick sale.
    Reliability and their warranty guarantees - the two are NOT related. They certainly do honor that "no-questions" warranty - but the rub is that you'll exhaust yourself with constant engine-swapping, after 7-20 hrs each.
    For individual parts, like pump housings, starters, etc... they are okay. But for any precision engine components - cranks, pistons, heads etc ... none of it is OEM quality, and if it was OEM re-furbished, it likely should have stayed in the trash bin.

Two option here ...
    1) find a still running original Yamaha MR1, perhaps a crashed donor ski (careful to again avoid other skis having already sbt's in them), and then do a transplant.
    2) cut your losses and part out what you can. Then go find a newer 1.8L yamaha ski, as sbt hasn't yet "contaminated" the 1.8L market with inferior parts, so you are nearly guaranteed to find OEM Yamaha quality.

Thank you everyone for trying to help. I am pretty much thinking along the same lines as timebandit. Cut my losses . I have been looking at the 1.8 models far as a replacement for this. . Right now since the "pandemic" it seems some of the prices I have been seeing have jumped for used skis . You can usually find a sick one for a few hundred and lately its climbed much higher. I did run ads here and there inquiring if anyone has one to donate. Thank you also for the ad in pwc. Thats an ad from 09 and 300 hrs. Not sure if even still available but a lot of hours to start with. Really like something a little less hrs. Somewhere on fb I spotted a place in Miami that looked like a jet ski junk yard and claimed they had anything and everything but can't remember the name of the place. Also, not sure I trust a whole lot outta Miami! I have seen some duct taped wham bam jobs come from that side.

Basically, here is how this happened whether it really matters now? Maybe help someone else if this happens... The guy that owned it was out riding it and it began to bog down real bad to the point of no power . He was with his son and they were smart enough to know tow it in. At that point the hull was already full of water and oil mix and a total mess. It was due to poor maintenance and pretty much every single clamp on this thing is wasted. He told me he used crc all the time but it was hard to tell by the mess. Obviously the clamps were not stainless steel either! If I could fix it for a reasonable sum its worth it but when you start talking a few thousand no thanks. Too old. I took a chance from the get go with it and no regrets . Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

I know it has nothing to do with the jet pump. It turned over and also at this time the engine is already on a stand does not turn over now. In response to what is decent on it , overall its not bad but it has typical bruises for its age. It was covered but not a real good quality cover. The seat is fine with some of the staples just starting to come loose around the edges underneath , brand new hydro turf, appears never had any accidents just normal wear and tear . Front is in good condition but of course the cluster is getting really hard to read. I have used a little toothpaste on a microfiber very gently and gotten them a little more readable but not a huge improvement. Its only a temp fix for the inevitable. I will hold out in case anyone comes up with something or I see something and if not, start stripping it.

Hey guys, one last question about this issue. Does anyone know what years are ok to use as a transplant? I have heard a couple different things like 02-04 and 02-05? Are there any other options far as using a different engine than the stock one without it being a complete ton of work? Meaning, need new computer, etc etc etc ? Thanks.

+1
    Put it this way, ANY 140 or 160hp FX engine will swap. I believe they were 03-08.

Thank you. Still looking......

Thread Information