+1

2010 RXT-X resurrection question

Hey All. Iím trying to bring this machine back to life. The gauges were toast, so I bought a refurbished one and plugged it in. It has not been paired yet. Also, I donít have a key programmed for it yet.

That said, is the display supposed to at least wake up when you hit the start button, even if it hasnít been paired yet? I have a 2013 GTI Se 130 that acts this way which is why Iím wondering. I checked all the fuses and verified I have 12 volts at the display. Also, when I hit the start button, I can hear a faint click from back where the battery is.

Trying to understand what itís supposed to do before I go to the dealer to get the key and display programmed. I donít want to get hosed there.

Thanks in advance!!

+1
    Yes the cluster should wake up when you push the start button even though it hasnt been paired. Check the relay in the fuse box.

Get the service manual and follow all electrics. I had a similar problem in my old 05 rxt. Power line between mpem and dash gives trouble. It was coroded inside, under insulation 30 cm from plug. It has conductivity with multimeter but voltage drop thru corosion was big enough to keep instruments dead.
    Hope this hint you in right direction.

+1
    Thanks. I’ll check that. I know there is corrosion on a few wires that were initially cut in the main connector going up through the steering column (no idea why they were cut tho). I had a tough time soldering them but verified connectivity afterwards. I didn’t check them under load tho.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Yes the cluster should wake up when you push the start button even though it hasnt been paired. Check the relay in the fuse box.
    Thanks. I’ll check that relay!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek View Post
    Get the service manual and follow all electrics. I had a similar problem in my old 05 rxt. Power line between mpem and dash gives trouble. It was coroded inside, under insulation 30 cm from plug. It has conductivity with multimeter but voltage drop thru corosion was big enough to keep instruments dead.
    Hope this hint you in right direction.

You nailed it! It was the purple wire that went from the gauges to the fuse box. It was a bad connection at the box. Gauges come to life now when I hit the start button, thanks!!!

Great news. Another one sorted.
    I just found similar thing in my ibr plug. 1m long just replaced. And main power cable for it too.
    J
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201124_193134.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	469174

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek View Post
    Great news. Another one sorted.
    I just found similar thing in my ibr plug. 1m long just replaced. And main power cable for it too.
    J
    I may have the same issue. I got the new gauge paired yesterday and immediately got a fault code for the iBR system. 7 years of neglect sitting out in the weather really took its toll on this machine but it will live again!

Thread Information