Question Leaking oil tank on 2003 Virage, how do I remove it?

As title says, I think my tank is cracked, going to take it out and fix it (quick search seems like I'm not the only one with this issue). How do I remove the dash pod to get access to remove the tank, is it just the two screws ahead and behind? And is there anything else I should take a look at while I have it ripped apart?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    There are zero screws involved in removing the oil tank on a Virage (or Genesis).

The fuel tank is held down with long rubber straps. Those same rubber straps also hold the oil tank in place against the fuel tank.

To remove the oil tank, first remove the tensioned rubber straps. They are quite strong and have some tension. Not easy to do the first time. Getting the straps back on at the end can be more difficult. There are some tricks and tips to make it less of a fight.

With the rubber straps removed.
    Disconnect the oil tank filler hose.
    Lift out the oil level sender unit. Have a rag handy to put it on, it will be quite oily and drip.

The messiest part is draining out the remaining oil. Do that from the top openings or via the nipple at bottom rear of the oil tank.

Tip: raising and lowering the trailer tongue will shift the oil to front or back of the tank, depending on which you need.

On some oil tanks it leaks from the neck where the oil level sender fits in. It is supposed to be friction fit tight, but often does not seal 100% and the sender works up out of the tank neck. The common fix is to add a couple of skinny o-rings around the sender body. The o-rings add thickness to the sender 'plug' and helps seal it in place. Then add a thin band gear clamp around the outside of the oil sender tank neck and snug the neck around the sender body.

It is also common for the nipple to the oil filter to have plastic ridges (mold flashing) from the molding process. Use a sharp knife and carefully trim away the plastic ridges to create a smooth nipple for the oil hose to seal around.

This post has more info
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post1456429

Last edited by K447; 11-21-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There are zero screws involved in removing the oil tank on a Virage (or Genesis).

The fuel tank is held down with long rubber straps. Those same rubber straps also hold the oil tank in place against the fuel tank.

To remove the oil tank, first remove the tensioned rubber straps. They are quite strong and have some tension. Not easy to do the first time. Getting the straps back on at the end can be more difficult. There are some tricks and tips to make it less of a fight.
    I appreciate the reply. I have the front bucket out, I can see the 3 strap but can barely reach them. It seems if I disconnect them and they come off the base of the hull they're likely never going back on. Is that really the process?

It's actually pretty easy to get them to hook back on. If need be, stand on a step stool to get more height and you'll be able to reach them easily. Tip...to make it easier to stretch the straps when putting them back on...warm up the straps via sitting in very hot water or use a medium setting on a heat gun...no problems.

Straps are pretty pliable, got the first two off without issue. I can't reach the third one by the sender on the oil tank side so I removed it from the cleat on the opposite side (by the fuel filter). Will drain what little oil is left, disconnect the tubes and pull it out tomorrow for a leak test. Not excited to try putting those straps back on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalise View Post
    ... putting those straps back on.
    Depending on my mood and how much of a fight I was expecting, I have used combinations of;
    Clean the outside of both the fuel and oil tanks. Less grit and dust = easier sliding of the straps.
    Clean the rubber straps, then spray and rub them down with silicone lube spray. Less friction against the fuel tank.

Prepare a tool to help guide the strap end onto the hull mounted hook.
    Watcon used to sell such a tool, but you can also create one from a large flat blade screwdriver. File a notch into the end of the blade. Might need to also bend the shaft to gain working clearance. Or use a gardening tool ...

Eventually I did not need to tool, just used technique.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2660061

Was able to get it out, no obvious cracks will need to look closer. Oil sender is pretty loose, will see if I have the right size o-ring lying around.

Oil lines to the injector are pretty beat up from taking it on and off so many times checking for leaks, what size tubing are the two pieces? Partzilla has it listed as generic fuel line. Polaris numbers 5521069 and 8450059-150 for the hose and 2530015 for the "filter". Can't seem to find anywhere.

+1
    The oil hoses from the oil pump to each engine injection fitting are factory 3mm metric, IIRC.

The larger oil hose from the inline oil filter to the oil pump may be 7mm metric, but don’t quote me on that.

Thread Information