Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    What is your goal for the tabs?

Sean
    I like the setup you had on your nasty build. How well did they work for you?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    I like the setup you had on your nasty build. How well did they work for you?
    Thanks, I am reasonably happy with how they turned out. A couple notes on them, make sure you round any edges on them, bashing your shin on a sharp piece of aluminum under the water line sucks ass.

Strictly speaking, you don't need return springs but they are nice for adjustment out of the water. As long as your pivots are free moving, the water moving over the hull will pop them back up really quickly.

Mine are pneumatic and are really quick acting but loads of people used to use cable operated ones which is nice since your cable never runs out of air. People also used to use hydraulic mountain bike brakes or mx brake cylinders to actuate them.

This type of trim tab only acts to keep the nose down, they might help porpoising if you have too much lift from another components but based ony my limited time with them, they aren't going to magically add speed. I didn't run them for all that long. I played around with them a bit while I was tuning the first version of my motor and then took the whole ski apart to redo the intake setup.

I think I would try to figure out why the ski is bouncing before spending too much money/time on adding other parts to correct it. I never had an issue with mine being stable unless I was riding 3 up just above no wake speed.

How does your rideplate fit the hull?

Did you seal the edges?

What intake grate are you running?

When you did the work on the hull did you alter the shape at all?

Sean

+1
    Thanks, I am reasonably happy with how they turned out. A couple notes on them, make sure you round any edges on them, bashing your shin on a sharp piece of aluminum under the water line sucks ass.

Strictly speaking, you don't need return springs but they are nice for adjustment out of the water. As long as your pivots are free moving, the water moving over the hull will pop them back up really quickly.

Mine are pneumatic and are really quick acting but loads of people used to use cable operated ones which is nice since your cable never runs out of air. People also used to use hydraulic mountain bike brakes or mx brake cylinders to actuate them.

This type of trim tab only acts to keep the nose down, they might help porpoising if you have too much lift from another components but based ony my limited time with them, they aren't going to magically add speed. I didn't run them for all that long. I played around with them a bit while I was tuning the first version of my motor and then took the whole ski apart to redo the intake setup.

I think I would try to figure out why the ski is bouncing before spending too much money/time on adding other parts to correct it. I never had an issue with mine being stable unless I was riding 3 up just above no wake speed.

How does your rideplate fit the hull?

Did you seal the edges?

What intake grate are you running?

When you did the work on the hull did you alter the shape at all?

Sean
    im running the worx grate. Here are some pics of my setup. I didnít mod the shape of the hull

any suggestion to fix this and remove the trim ring would be awesome!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31B15E32-6EB6-47F7-AFF3-39E4B2A91978.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	469140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A715DFB4-9A67-4702-B1ED-BACB8DD7347D.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	469141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB9C96E2-EF02-475A-AE8B-8FFAFA15F534.jpg 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	469142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A418559C-2BC0-46E0-8004-8F5DB4510C0B.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	469143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A7373C2E-9500-4391-A48A-961A2F8B3E6F.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	469144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56A3D323-ECE0-43F5-9135-3B45A3CC1898.jpg 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	469145  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F9289DB-870B-4ED4-90BA-186A1CF548C7.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	469146  

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Start by adding a shim/washer between the hull mounts and the plate at the rear to adjust the angle of the plate.

I ground the mounts for the plate down so the front of the plate was flush or slightly recessed when compared to the hull. I typically tuck the plate up by about the thickness of a quarter where possible. Then you can shim it back to adjust how the boat rides.

For the grates, I only ever tested the stock grate with the center bar removed and a cut back r&d grate. I didn't have porpoising with either. Before I cut the r&d grate, it scrubbed speed really bad and loaded up in the corners, 300ish rpms or so. I trimmed the wings back and slightly recessed the scoop and it made a big difference in the loading but stayed hooked really well still.

Sean

+1
    Start by adding a shim/washer between the hull mounts and the plate at the rear to adjust the angle of the plate.

I ground the mounts for the plate down so the front of the plate was flush or slightly recessed when compared to the hull. I typically tuck the plate up by about the thickness of a quarter where possible. Then you can shim it back to adjust how the boat rides.

For the grates, I only ever tested the stock grate with the center bar removed and a cut back r&d grate. I didn't have porpoising with either. Before I cut the r&d grate, it scrubbed speed really bad and loaded up in the corners, 300ish rpms or so. I trimmed the wings back and slightly recessed the scoop and it made a big difference in the loading but stayed hooked really well still.

Sean
    Ill give that a try. It may be my grate is causing some of the porpoising but it does stay hooked up well across the chop. Was about to remove the R&D plate and install the oem one but if I can get it to work right that would be nice. It “sinks” into the turns nicely which I’m sure is from the sponsons and ride plate combo. Reminds me of a T3 rxp hull but not as aggressive.

+1
    I have a nozzle extension thread here somewhere. I also have a Zxi nozzle but never did create an actuator for it yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TJS0712F View Post
    I have a nozzle extension thread here somewhere. I also have a Zxi nozzle but never did create an actuator for it yet.
    If you find it and can post the link here that would be great. It would be nice to keep these tech/mod threads together. Seems like they tend to die off without the op posting results. Iíll keep up with this one regarding what ends up working out. LOTS of tech is in the build threads but I havenít found a good way to search for specific tech info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TJS0712F View Post
    I have a nozzle extension thread here somewhere.
    ------------------------------
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=264089

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information