Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GP1800R Ride Plate Questions

Regarding GP1800R,
    Whatís the best aftermarket ride plate for rough water. Iím in choppy conditions quite often.

Worx?
    Riva?
    Other Options?

+1
    Deans team

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danetwork View Post
    Deans team
    Dean modifies existing ride plates, is my understanding.

I have the Worx ride plate on my GP1800 SVHO. The Worx plate is longer than the stock ride plate. It may be the longest ride plate available for the GP1800.

Generally speaking the longer the ride plate is the better it is in rough water. The extra length helps keep the bow from rising and reduces bouncing.

My Worx ride plate has been modified with Jimís cut, which improved hull tracking in rough water and turning control. For us (we have two GP1800 SVHO with the same modifications) this combination of a longer ride plate and the plate cut modification works well. We typically ride with just the rider, no passenger.

My understanding is that Deanís ride plate modifications are similar to Jimís cut. For rough water riding I suspect both would provide similar cuts and similar results. Which ride plate you will choose will affect what the cut mod does.

In rough water we ride standing up with flexed legs most of the time. This allows the hull to dance under our feet while upper body and head have minimal bob and spinal impact.

Those who have the Riva second generation intake grate report good results for rough water. I would expect that to work well in combination with the Worx ride plate.

Banned User
    +1
    Dean's team hands down.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Very happy with my Deans team modified factory plate on the vxr and the gp.

I’m in Australia. Do sending my ride plate to the USA isn’t really a viable option.

I am interested in what is being done to the ride plates that is making such a difference.
    I have access to a CNC mill so can most likely do the machining here in Australia.

I think I’ll go down the Worx ride plate path.

It has a gen 2 Riva grate.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The stock GP1800 ride plate is quite good unless it’s a 2017 or 2018 model. I think those first generation GP1800 ride plates just suck.

The Worx ride plate may be a slight improvement but the stock GP1800 ride plate (2019 onward) is pretty good.
    Last edited by K447; 11-21-2020 at 09:26 AM. Reason: 2019 onward

Lake Lion
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I’m in Australia. Do sending my ride plate to the USA isn’t really a viable option.

I am interested in what is being done to the ride plates that is making such a difference.
    I have access to a CNC mill so can most likely do the machining here in Australia.

I think I’ll go down the Worx ride plate path.

It has a gen 2 Riva grate.
    Dean will sell one to you with his cut on it.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    My understanding - there are two Ďbrandsí providing ride plate modification services.
    Deanís Team and Jim (Jimís cut)
    Some people with access to machine shops are doing their own versions.

In each case the ride plate being modified for GP1800 is one of the following;

2017-2018 GP1800 SVHO Yamaha factory ride plate (no cut from factory)

Worx extended ride plate (available since early 2017) about two inches longer than the others (no cut from factory)

Riva ride plate for GP1800 (available since mid-2017)

2019-2020 GP1800 SVHO Yamaha factory ride plate (very similar if not identical to the Riva ride plate)

2021 GP1800 SVHO Yamaha factory ride plate (no speedometer paddle wheel sensor cutout)

Riva ĎGen 2í ride plate 2021 version (no paddle wheel sensor cutout)

Each of these* can be modified to either add a sloped channel cut to the bottom surface or increase the cut depth and/or angle of the factory channel. The cut side edges improve hull tracking and cornering control. The cut angle and length affect bow rise and thereby hull drag, potentially increasing hull speed.

Too much cut angle can induce hull porpoising at speed. Sometimes the rear of the modified ride plate must be shimmed down with spacer washers to reduce the proposing and improve overall hull performance in non-smooth water riding.

* I have not yet seen any postings regarding modification of the 2021 ride plates

Do you know how the Riva Gen 2 compares to the Worx? The listing claims it's extended as well just curious if it's as long as the Worx. I have a 2017 and rough water riding leaves a lot to be desired for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information