Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2006 kawasaki stx 12f removing coupling

I'm trying to remove the pto coupling from the crankshaft. I'm having a very hard time removing it. I have to remove to sent the engine back sbt as a core. I have tried just about everything. I made a spanner wrench to hold the pulse pulley for timing chain and broke that. Then I tried holding the oil pump chain and that broke. I tried heat but don't want to use to much because of the stator. So I would to to know if anybody has tried cutting it off the crankshaft?

+1
    Rope into the rear cylider to hold the crank from spinning. Penetrating lube behind the coupler. Heat on the coupler face in the center. Just propane torch heat for about 2 minutes. Then use a block of wood or aluminum drift to punch the coupler loose.

how to get the rope in? I don't see how to get the rope in. Exhaust or intake?

+1
    small clothesline rope, couple feet fed into the spark plug hole. Then slowly turn the engine by hand until the piston pushes the rope up against the valves. Make sure this is done on the compression stroke, or with camshafts removed!! Otherwise you can bend valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    small clothesline rope, couple feet fed into the spark plug hole. Then slowly turn the engine by hand until the piston pushes the rope up against the valves. Make sure this is done on the compression stroke, or with camshafts removed!! Otherwise you can bend valves.
    Iíve done this twice. Heat the coupler so the coupler expands off the shaft. Do the rope trick or if u can, take head off and put some rags in two cylinders to half the force on the crankshaft. Make sure camshafts are out.

I then used a monkey wrench/big shifting spanner and it turned off - anti clockwise.

Ok the coupler is off.. The rope trick worked. Now getting the coupler shaft off. Does the coupler shaft have left or right threads? Or does using a puller work. The manual is kind of confussing.

Quote Originally Posted by dldodge2 View Post
    Ok the coupler is off.. The rope trick worked. Now getting the coupler shaft off. Does the coupler shaft have left or right threads? Or does using a puller work. The manual is kind of confussing.
    You canít use a puller. I held the crank shaft in a vice and unscrewed it. It was not easy but it came off after hitting the spanner with a hammer because we didnít have an impact wrench. Anti clockwise if I remember correctly. Same as coupler.

ok. I have the coupler off and the coupler shaft off. I tried pulling the flywheel off with universal 2 arm puller. I tried and I put a lot of pressure on it that I thought I was going to break it. So I there an easy way to do this. I really want thank for all the responses.

+1
    Did you try hitting the screw on the puller with a brass hammer?

yes. I tried that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information