Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

Yamaha VX 2014 - Hull Leak?

Hi all.

I noticed this summer that got some water in the hull. i noticed this when i had the ski water for att few hours. (! water without running the Engine)
    What i did was extra seal all the output areas. But still i got some water in the hull. Not much, about 1-2 liters within a few hours.
    Yesterday, i angled the ski (lifted the front) and put in some water in the hull To see if i could see it coming out somewhere in the back. but no. seems good.
    Does anyone have any ideas from where i could come from? And i do not get more water in when i drive, not that i notice anyway.

In the Picture. it shows the area where the water is. (its during the build so, thats why it all looks so empty).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	läckage.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	468969  

they all get water in them if it turns into 2-3 gallons then you have a problem

@niklas seabrook is correct they all get water in them but if it turns into where the 2-3 gallons or bilge pump can't keep up. You can remove the pump shoe and reseal it.

+1
    Thanks for your answers. Feel alot better. Ill leave it as it is.
    When i had it in water for a day and one night, and did ride for about 3-4 hours, i had about 0,4 gallons in the hull (if i remeber correct)
    Sure the bilge could have got some of it out so i dident notice if it ever was more. But dident notice any higher level over the night either. So seems ok.

Just for curiosity.. How are "new" skis, i mean, if i owned a 18-19-20 or such, would i still expect some water in the hull, or are they 100% dry?

unless someone like WFO or 1 fast sho reseals your pump, they all will have water

+1
    It seems like most of these skis get some water in them but a few stay very dry.

I have a 2013 VXR that doesn't get a drop of water in it after any ride. My 2019 GP1800R gets a very small amount of water in it. Perhaps a cup (1/4 liter.) However, my 2012 VXS gets a lot of water in it. At least a gallon (4 liters.) I really should put a Go Pro in this ski and see what's actually leaking.

My next door neighbor also has a 2019 GP1800R and his stays completely dry inside during a ride.

+1
    For contrast sake, I have a 2005 FXHO craft (much older), and it gets no water inside just sitting in the water. Now, after a whole afternoon out on rough waters and 50+ miles later, sure it might get a small puddle inside. <<< THAT I'd say is normal ... yet what the OP describes sounds like a potential problem to me.

Recap: So the craft gets water inside just floating - no engine running. You tilted it back on the drive with a purposeful filled hull to see if any leaking out could be observed - yet nothing.
    So given those two observations, the IB bearing/housing would be the likely suspect, as it is 100% saturated (below draft) in water while afloat, yet high enough off the keel floor that filling the hull would need to be substantially high in order to coax any external leak-test from it out of water.
    In regards to checking the IB housing for leaks, you could re-fill the hull once again, this time enough to cover the entire mid-shaft - level ski on the drive - but that's a ton of water & weight.
    Or, you could remove that black plastic shroud cover over the couplers (tip: unbolt the electric box out of the way - one screw nearest the mid-wall), and go put the ski back into the drink. Then get a flashlight to see if any water is tricking in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    For contrast sake, I have a 2005 FXHO craft (much older), and it gets no water inside just sitting in the water. Now, after a whole afternoon out on rough waters and 50+ miles later, sure it might get a small puddle inside. <<< THAT I'd say is normal ... yet what the OP describes sounds like a potential problem to me.

Recap: So the craft gets water inside just floating - no engine running. You tilted it back on the drive with a purposeful filled hull to see if any leaking out could be observed - yet nothing.
    So given those two observations, the IB bearing/housing would be the likely suspect, as it is 100% saturated (below draft) in water while afloat, yet high enough off the keel floor that filling the hull would need to be substantially high in order to coax any external leak-test from it out of water.
    In regards to checking the IB housing for leaks, you could re-fill the hull once again, this time enough to cover the entire mid-shaft - level ski on the drive - but that's a ton of water & weight.
    Or, you could remove that black plastic shroud cover over the couplers (tip: unbolt the electric box out of the way - one screw nearest the mid-wall), and go put the ski back into the drink. Then get a flashlight to see if any water is tricking in.
    So if got this correct. Remove the coupler cover and check while its in the water?

One thing. As i descibed in the pic. There is where the water sits. If it was a bearing problem (new bearings and seals) it would be water in the engine hull? And its not.

Weird thing about is it that the water comes rather quick, within and hour or so. But dosent get remarkable more even if its sits for 4-5 more hours after.

I will have my eye on this when spring comes.
    Im very cautious guy, so im thinking about putting in an extra bilgepump.
    But feel i can countine riding as it is?

Edit: got en idea. How about tilting the skii forward. Pull a hose into the pump/nozzle and fill it up. Then i would be able to see in a few hours if its any problems there?
    Last edited by Niklas; 12-04-2020 at 05:30 AM.

+1
    Good questions :

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas View Post
    So if got this correct. Remove the coupler cover and check while its in the water?
    Correct on the cover. It is just a shroud/shield. Removing it simply permits easier visual inspection of the entire area, yet not necessary to remove if you have a mirror extension and little more effort.
    Can also fill the hull on the driveway high enough to cover the IB and check for water coming out.

One thing. As i descibed in the pic. There is where the water sits. If it was a bearing problem (new bearings and seals) it would be water in the engine hull? And its not.
    Well... as far as I know, the mid-wall partition is not water-tight (aka observe that grey coolant supply hose routing forward), so leaks anywhere in the hull can result in water collecting in the rear compartment. Especially when you take off and ride, water can tilt back to the most extreme aft. Plus, the bilge jet siphon system will dry mainly the forward hull section while riding (more on that later).

That said, if you are saying that water begins in the rear compartment while not riding, this could certainly indicate the leak source being there as well.
    In your initial post, your comment about the picture taken “during the build”. Is it possible something has not bee put back together properly, tight? You need to start thinking about every component back there that was touched during this previous build. Was something custom done to this craft, non-OEM? Exhaust tubes, routing, etc… How about the rear bung/scupper plugs - secure ?

Weird thing about is it that the water comes rather quick, within and hour or so. But dosent get remarkable more even if its sits for 4-5 more hours after.
    That is weird. It's got me thinking of a possible reverse-siphon issue maybe. There are two suspects: bilge jet siphon system, and an electrical bilge pump check-valve (although not all Yamaha models have electric pump systems).

I will have my eye on this when spring comes.
    Im very cautious guy, so im thinking about putting in an extra bilgepump.
    But feel i can countine riding as it is?
    This is not a bad idea. I myself did this for added peace of mind. Have one installed like they are are boats, where it comes on only when water is present – regardless if riding or not.

Yes, your leak sounds benign so far, so it seems that you will be okay with normal use.
    Again, the jet pump bilge siphon system does evacuate water from the lowest part of the hull, just ahead of the mid-wall (under the IB couplers), but this works best only when actively riding on flat plane.

Edit: got en idea. How about tilting the ski forward. Pull a hose into the pump/nozzle and fill it up. Then i would be able to see in a few hours if its any problems there?

This will not work. The jet pump is an external system, completely freely open on intake and discharge ends – nothing to “fill-up”.

+1
    Thanks.

I understand it could come from alot of anywhere, when i put it all together. But last time i had it in water had sticked my head down and checked. dident see anything. looked dry around every house, and outputs also around the bearinghouse. no garantee ofcourse. But still. the water was there in the bottom, but no trace of its travelways.

This might be a longshoot. but when you wrote about the bilgepump. its just an idea, but need to bring it up.
    This VX hull has the FX Engine in it. The FX Engine requier more outputs. i drilled some more for the coolingoutlets (side of the hull).
    But i put the Bilgepump hose at the transomplate. I know it should go out true the hull.

I was thinking. You Think its possible that when i put the skii in water, with the angel and force for pushing it of the trailer that the waterpressure could go up the hose? (if you see my pic, the transparant hose is the out of the bilgepump and the black is the way to the transomplate, it seem like the hose is to high, but maybe it enough force, and press some out of the bilgepump?
    It would explain why is water in the hull, and not getting alot more?

(Sorry for my English, but hope you understand what i mean)

I have no idea how the bilge jet siphon system really works, havent connected it right now. just a hose and plugged it for now. but really like to know how it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilge2.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	469421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilgepump.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	469422  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information