Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering buying a 2015 STX 15f w/ brackish water use, and general?'s

Hey guys,

I am in the Dallas area and am looking to buy a late model 15f and it will be my first one as I have always been a Yamaha VX guy. I found a 2015 with 55 hours on it from the original owner but it has been used part of the time in salt and brackish water and some fresh. The owner said he always flushed after every use but not with saltaway just the hose. It has always been serviced with regular oil changes and spark plugs. It comes on a nice Triton trailer. A few questions for you all

1. Should I stay away from a ski that has been in salt or brackish water? Does it reduce lifespan? Also what else should I look for? He said there was not much corrosion but just a little surface rust on some hardware here and there.

2. How reliable are the 2015 15f model? If you keep them serviced will they run a long time? Any major weak points ont his model? i thought pump bearings needed to be replaced but cannot recall.

3. I am looking to get it for $5k with the Triton trailer. The ski is clean with normal wear and it comes with some accessories. What do you think of the deal?

+1
    I have that exact model and it is used exclusively in salt water. I bought it new in '16 and it has about 190 HR and I'm very happy with it. I flush with Salt Away but that isn't necessary. A weak area is the jet pump-I only get about 50 hours before it needs seals/bearings. Otherwise it is a very good performing ski.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    I have that exact model and it is used exclusively in salt water. I bought it new in '16 and it has about 190 HR and I'm very happy with it. I flush with Salt Away but that isn't necessary. A weak area is the jet pump-I only get about 50 hours before it needs seals/bearings. Otherwise it is a very good performing ski.
    Someone had told me the pre 2010 models had weak pumps. Do these have bad pumps as well? How would I tell if the pump is going bad? How much does it cost to rebuild?

The guy I a buying it from said it goes 65-70 mph based on water conditions. Does that seem right and healthy?

+1
    2012 and newer jet pumps were updated from double to triple bearings/seals. As standard practice, the pump should be inspected annually for water intrusion. On gps top speed should be ~62-64 mph based on conditions.

So if will do 65mph + it should mean the pump and bearings and even motor are in good shape right?

How good are these skis on gas? Are they fairly efficent if you are not flooring it the whole time?

+1
    Sounds like its okay for now. I suggest getting a service manual and following the inspection checklist. Owners manual may have it as well. The older 2 bearing pumps can start to have issues as early as 80 hrs. Listen for pump whine, impeller blades aggressively grinding on the wear ring, and odd pump noises. Maintenance/post ride inspection is the key to longevity.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrayt1 View Post
    So if will do 65mph + it should mean the pump and bearings and even motor are in good shape right?

How good are these skis on gas? Are they fairly efficent if you are not flooring it the whole time?

7. +1 by:

+1

If the speedometer reads around 65 you're fine but the pump may be in bad condition. A pump failure is usually caused by water intrusion which corrodes the bearings. In salt water use the wear ring can also swell from corrosion which wears the impeller. Fuel consumption is very good. My consumption is around 4 gal/hr which is good for a 160 HP ski. For a comparison, this is about the same as my '98 Sea-Doo with a 110 HP two cycle engine.

A buddy of mine says to avoid ANY 15f that has been used in any salt content. He said the pumps are weak and there is a design flaw that was never fixed. How much does it cost to rebuild a pump if I were to have issues? And is his advice accurate?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    I have got 200 hours 2X on my pumps. Both liners went at this point.
    Not bad. Just have to clean and flush after each ride.
    My impeller is perfect so when the liner goes bad you will know and then you change it and your impeller is fine.

+1
    A buddy of mine says to avoid ANY 15f that has been used in any salt content. He said the pumps are weak and there is a design flaw that was never fixed. How much does it cost to rebuild a pump if I were to have issues? And is his advice accurate?
    The 2015 pump is the upgraded one, so no problem there. You don't have to run in salt water to have corrosion in the pump, and it can happen to other brands as well.

There have been corrosion problems in the exhaust system couplings.

What does your buddy recommend???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information