Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This 15f has the best designed hull of all time! It’s basically the same hull that won many championships on the ‘01 1200 stxr! The 15f was introduced in ‘04 and is definitely one of the fastest naturally aspirated skis! I have an ‘04 and an ‘06. The pumps go out quicker than seadoo, but it’s hard being the best at everything! Most pumps go over 200 hours, and if it is a problem buy an extra pump to throw in once one locks up. I recommend the 15f over any skis in the market, and the only thing that is weak is the exhaust manifold after running in salt with no flushes!

2. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrayt1 View Post
    A buddy of mine says to avoid ANY 15f that has been used in any salt content. He said the pumps are weak and there is a design flaw that was never fixed. How much does it cost to rebuild a pump if I were to have issues? And is his advice accurate?
    This is a broad generalization-if a ski (of any brand) is properly cleaned after use in salt water it will provide a satisfactory service life. If you can get a newer 15F with a trailer for $5K in today's market you have a winner. As far as maintenance costs go, you will have them with any brand of ski. The probable cost for a 15F is lower because it is such a simple machine. There isn't a supercharger, it has a solid fiberglass hull, it doesn't have electronic reverse, etc. I'll give my experience-I bought a new '15 15F in spring of '16 so I could ride in the ocean while my '14 Sea-Doo was in the shop (which was often). I didn't expect to use it much but here 4.5 years later the 15F has almost 200 hours of continuous salt water use because the Sea-Doo has been in the shop so much.

Thanks for all the replies guys, how much does it cost to replace or rebuild the pump if it were to lock up? I just want to calculate that into future cost of ownership. At only 55 hours I think I am good for now but wanted to know if it needs to be rebuilt or a total replacement? If the pump goes bad can that lock the engine up also?

+1
    For cost of repairs call a local dealer. The pump will start howling long before it locks up and the design of it will prevent the impeller from driving forward and damaging the crankshaft (like earlier designs did). BUY IT!

Yes I am definitely leaning towards grabbing it based on market conditions and a very nice trailer as well. I could not get an estimate from the local dealer on a jet pump rebuild or replacement, has anyone had to do it and what is the cost you paid?

+1
    I think most people on this forum probably rebuild their own jet pumps. You need a couple of special tools. Bearings & seals will probably cost you $100-150.

That isn’t a broad generalization when you have seen four stx15f s have exhaust manifold issues!

+1
    how much does it cost to replace or rebuild the pump if it were to lock up?
    appr. 40 USD for bearings + 20 USD seals
    you don't have to buy original OEM parts besides the o-rings
    I would use original Suzuki 09283-25076 (made by Arai Seisakusho) seals instead of OEM Kawasaki and 2 17x47x19mm/1 22x50x15mm bearings made by SKF/FAG/NTN/Koyo
    and you don't need any special tools to rebuild the pump

+1
    My pricing estimate was for Kawasaki parts. I use other brands, myself. You WILL need a spline tool. A shaft holder is nice, I made mine.

+1
    You WILL need a spline tool
    I'm holding the rear shaft end in a vise and loosing the impeller thread with a open-end wrench on coupler driveshaft end

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information