Unintended acceleration ??????

I have a 2020 ST 160X.

This is something thatís occurred maybe 4 times in the last 12 hours of use. From running at speed, maybe 40 mph to full throttle, if I let off the throttle completely, the ski settles into the water, and then it Ďsurgesí at about 1/3-1/2 throttle for maybe 10 yards with ABSOLUTELY NO THROTTLE INPUT BY ME. This could be really dangerous. So far itís been in open water or approaching a no wake zone, so nothing happened. This is the first year with the fly by wire throttle for the STXís.

anybody else experience this ?

Thx

REV

+1
    Are you turning the handlebars at all while this happens? Even a little

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
    Are you turning the handlebars at all while this happens? Even a little
    I know at least once I came out of a very sharp turn. Not sure on the other times. Someone else asked me that too, as the old mechanical throttles supposedly surge 1-3 times to give a certain amount of steer ge. Does the new fly by wire throttle do that too ? It seemed a little extreme. Now that it seems to be getting more frequent Iím going to be more conscious of it and Iíll try to recreate the circumstances.

+1
    Yeah the old ones had a steering Hall effect sensor that would give it a little throttle via a valve on top of the throttle body. I can assume that the new ones have a similar sensor however the ECU probably controls the throttle actuator directly now. The system was for if you let off the throttle and turned, it would assume you were trying to avoid something and apply power to make the craft turn. Most liked it, some didnít and the fix on those was to simply unplug the sensors.

Iím hoping thatís whatís going on here and not some bug that 99% of cycle shop mechanics wouldnít be able to figure out. Fingers crossed for ya sir, let us know if you can recreate it.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    yes its the Kawsaski Smart Steering kicking in............. just un plug the sensor tha is attached to the base of the steering assembly.... 30 Sec fix

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    yes its the Kawsaski Smart Steering kicking in............. just un plug the sensor tha is attached to the base of the steering assembly.... 30 Sec fix
    issue confirmed. Could recreate the Ďunintended accelerationí at will. Not sure if I like it or not yet.

thanks to those who responded!

+1
    Congratulations on your new Kawasaki Jet-Ski.

The topic in question which you inquired about is - clearly explained by the Manufacturer in your Owners Manual.

Indeed, it makes for some "painful" reading but it is to YOUR benefit, and everyone here will agree that you should put aside some time to read the manual that was supplied with your new Kawasaki Jet-Ski - recommended even before venturing out on your new machine.

The break-in procedure is also defined in your Owners Manual - which hopefully you followed.

Good Luck !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    Congratulations on your new Kawasaki Jet-Ski.

The topic in question which you inquired about is - clearly explained by the Manufacturer in your Owners Manual.

Indeed, it makes for some "painful" reading but it is to YOUR benefit, and everyone here will agree that you should put aside some time to read the manual that was supplied with your new Kawasaki Jet-Ski - recommended even before venturing out on your new machine.

The break-in procedure is also defined in your Owners Manual - which hopefully you followed.

Good Luck !!!
    Believe it or not Iím a manual reader, and I had previously read it cover to cover. I must have missed that part. I guess my eyes must have been glazed over by that point ... 😄

REV

Thread Information