Should the fuel pump prime when ski is turned on? --'06 STX 15F

Hi all. I was out on the lake today and everything was fine until until my '06 15F started running very sluggish. Power ended up returning and I was able to drive it for probably another 20 minutes without issues. Turned it off for about 2 minutes and when I went to start it up, it wouldn't kick over. It will crank just not kick over. I just got the ski last week so I haven't paid enough attention, but when it is first turned on should I hear the fuel pump prime? Right now I hear nothing after I turn the key.

Thanks for any help!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Its been a while since I ran the stock ecu but if my memory is right, the fuel pump only kicks on when you hit the starter button for a few seconds.

Sean

+1
    On the 'Skis with the Immobilizer keys, the pump kicks on for several seconds whenever you insert the key, or bump the starter. When my 'Skis have been sitting for a while, I let the pump run 2 or 3 times before cranking for faster starts.

I don't remember how it is with the orange key (I haven't had my STX out since last year), but I suspect it's the same. If you don't hear the pump running, time to start looking for loose, dirty, or burned connections inside the harness connectors. Don't forget to pull the plugs off of the terminators on the ends of the harness. They can get water in them and corrode badly. Harness plugs on the STX need to be tied off high in the hull so they don't lay in water.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Its been a while since I ran the stock ecu but if my memory is right, the fuel pump only kicks on when you hit the starter button for a few seconds.

Sean
    You're right. I pulled the fuel line and fuel came out only AFTER I pressed the start button.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplitFire View Post
    You're right. I pulled the fuel line and fuel came out only AFTER I pressed the start button.
    Ok cool, its been a while since I played with the stock setup. My megasquirt primes on key-on so I wasn't 100% sure. On my 12f, I used to just bump the starter button and let the pump prime if I had been sitting for a while.

You should also hear the idle motor clicking after you let off the start button after cranking the motor for a few seconds.

Sean

I do hear an odd "electric sounding" clicking. Is that what you're referring to?

Yep the rattling sound you hear for a second or 2 shortly after turning the engine off is the idle control motor

Even though the plugs didn't look bad, I changed them out and it fired right up. Fingers crossed that was the problem.

Thread Information