Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2012 Seadoo RXTX 260 bogging during full throttle

Hi guys,

So during my ride this weekend, my ski developed a perplexing problem. The issue is that during WOT runs, sometimes the rpm would bog down to 6000 rpm (from the normal 8000 rpm I get) and lose all boost pressure (the boost gauge would read zero bars). However, this event does not occur on every WOT, it mainly happens when I go WOT from a standstill (although it has happened during gradual WOT applications). Another thing to note is that during the WOT runs when this event does not occur, I am hitting a good speed (68-69 MPH) and the engine sounds normal. But, another symptom I'm having during those normal WOT runs is that sometimes the boost gauge will lose one or 2 bars instead of indicating full boost.

I know this problem could range from bad gas to loose hose clamps or even slipping supercharger clutch. There is one stored engine code from this event, so I will get that checked ASAP. But for now, what does this sound like to you guys?

Thanks in advance!

+1
    i had a similar problem. had a 8900 tune and would only run at 7000 rpm, had low boost, and like you only at wot, found out i had a split intake manifold, if that helps out

How did you test and rule out that was the problem? That could be a possibility, as I personally know the previous owner and he loves to wave jump in the ocean. Might've cracked something on the impact.

+1
    Removed the intake. Sealed off the intake ports. Actually drilled couple holes on a metal plate and bolted the intake to it. And used a friends homemade plug to block off the throttle body opening and used a hand pump to build up 20 psi pressure and see if it bleeds out. Which mine did

Wow, I'm hoping mine will be just a loose clamp or bad gas... That seems like a lot of labour to get it pressure tested, hope my mechanic isn't gonna charge the hell out of me for that

+1
    Unlikely it's a leaking intake manifold. If it was it would most likey not idle great and would not reach full rpm due to boost leak, it would not be an intermittent issue.

First thing I would do is test the intercooler, those early 260 coolers were pretty common to develop leaks. Take the hose off the throttle body and do a few throttle blips while on the hose to see how much water it spits out.

7. +1 by:

I actually already installed a new OEM intercooler earlier this year (mid-summer), and right afterwards a new throttle body as the original one failed. I will still check the intercooler, but could something like bad fuel injectors or slipping supercharger clutch cause the same symptoms? I've read that failing injectors is very bad, as it creates an extremely lean condition causing a lot of damage (even if run WOT for only a few moments).

+1
    Changed the spark plugs after the IC failure?

+1
    speaking from experience my ski idled perfect and ran great till 7000 rpm, then it would bog down and surge, replaced the manifold and fixed the issuie. but that was my ski

Spark plugs and oil changed when throttle body was replaced (~ 1 month ago).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information