Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

2021 GP1800R SVHO high speed off throttle VIBRATION???

Can anyone explain the off throttle rumble strip feeling sensation when I let off the gas at high speeds? It truly feels like you’re riding over rumble strips on the highway when you let off. I reached out to my dealer and they said the Yamaha factory explains it as an inherit characteristic of the new intake grate. My 2015 FZS never did anything like this.

Has anyone had this problem??

steve

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sferone View Post
    Can anyone explain the off throttle rumble strip feeling sensation when I let off the gas at high speeds? It truly feels like you’re riding over rumble strips on the highway when you let off. I reached out to my dealer and they said the Yamaha factory explains it as an inherit characteristic of the new intake grate. My 2015 FZS never did anything like this.

Has anyone had this problem??

steve
    My 2018 does this now that I added the riva gen 1 intake grate. it never did it with the stock grate.
    I just slow down slower now.

+1
    That sounds like the grate is pushing in more water than the slowing down pump can process creating mini stuffs.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Did Yamaha change to a top loader for the new pump on the 2021? If ptscon is correct, I would expect all of the 21 models to show this trait.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    Did Yamaha change to a top loader for the new pump on the 2021? If ptscon is correct, I would expect all of the 21 models to show this trait.
    They changed to the Top-loader I believe in 2019 but the 2021 is a little deeper and pushes more water through it. I already talked to the service people at Riva as well as Cycle Springs and they have not had any complaints about this. It surprises me because this is definitely a strong rumble when you let off the gas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E034DB7E-3769-47A6-8888-7786352A0603.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	468708  

+1
    I have about 7 hrs. on mine so far and I haven't noticed it. I mostly do ocean riding but I'm going out tomorrow and riding in the river near me so I will check on mine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tman701 View Post
    I have about 7 hrs. on mine so far and I haven't noticed it. I mostly do ocean riding but I'm going out tomorrow and riding in the river near me so I will check on mine.
    Thanks. Can you also let me know if you have metal to metal contact when you turn your steering all the way to the left but when you turn it to the right it has a rubber bump stop. My old FZS had metal to metal both ways. I just think it’s odd that they would have a rubber bump stop one way and then have metal to metal the other. Obviously it feels much nicer when it stops on the rubber bump stop. This can be checked in the garage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sferone View Post
    Thanks. Can you also let me know if you have metal to metal contact when you turn your steering all the way to the left but when you turn it to the right it has a rubber bump stop. My old FZS had metal to metal both ways. I just think it’s odd that they would have a rubber bump stop one way and then have metal to metal the other. Obviously it feels much nicer when it stops on the rubber bump stop. This can be checked in the garage.
    Yup, mine does that also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    That sounds like the grate is pushing in more water than the slowing down pump can process creating mini stuffs.
    Yep - I 2nd this...
    Remember that there is a rubber cushion between the drive line couplers, so when chopping the throttle at speed causes extra water to stuff into the pump, attempting to spin-assist the impeller between the now reduced rpm compression impulses inherent in the drive line. This results is a bit of a bouncing reverb between the two drive lines on either side of the mid-shaft coupler slack/cushion. I could even surmise this feeding back up to the clutch too for SC crafts.
    That all said... for a piece-o-mind, couldn't hurt to double-check the coupler mating tolerance as-per service manual.
    Last edited by TimeBandit; 11-16-2020 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added clutch comment

my 15 fz does this i think it’s the top loader you’ll get used to it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information