Recently Purchased a Pair of NON RUNNING 2001 Yamaha XL800s, What Are My Options?

I was going to be low key, get these things running, present them to my daughter for her birthday (bc she loves the water) and see all of my friends next year on the water.

With that being said... I bought these two skis not running. They are twins... 2001 Yamaha XL800s apparently 2strokes.

I've had 2 mechanics say they are too busy bc other mechanics stopped working on skis, one mechanic Jon Hallman
    referred me is straight up ignoring me and the one Jorge Borrego
    referred to me is the only one that has helped me but says they don't do work on 2 strokes

This is the info he provided....

A 1200cc will drop right in place of the 800cc of the hull I have.

However the 1200cc is less reliable and dependable than the 800cc

The 800cc is capable of 50mph+ which is great, its what i want

On to the second ski... I want one running at all times. I want to do a motorcycle engine install on the 2nd ski. Doesn't matter what engine although if I'm going to do a motorcycle engine i want it to be insanely fast and I am partial to SUZUKI. Guy told me you'd have in the range of 200 to 300 hours of labor making that work.... so I am calling out ALL OF MY FRIENDS IN MY NETWORK to help me make this happen.

I will have both of them wrapped (prolly do it myself) in detail envy attire and if I can figure out insurance both of them will be available to my clients and maybe even FOR RENT to the general public. I'm less than a mile from Waccamaw River and less than 2 miles from the ICW.

So in short.... I'm asking for help, knowledge, BS ideas, your network to my network, I have cash, I have Credit, we can trade work for work etc

I Just Want These Skis Running For My Daughters Enjoyment, Your Enjoyment and My Enjoyment.

Ryan
    Detail Envy
    Myrtle Beach SC

The 1200 engine will not drop right in. The fwd motor mounts have to be move forward in the stringer. The electrical box needs to be remounted with new holes
    which is easy. I did the swap years ago. If you look very carefully these is an indent indent marking in the stringer fwd of the current mounts location where you can drill the two new holes. You just need a small whole to het your finger in the stringer to slide the mount fwd. it should have the wholes on the backing plate depending on uear ski. The 1200 mount is much larger

Ok, so it wouldnt be a bad idea for me to find a 800cc long block and replace it in the hull so that I will have something running and reliable for next season and so I can focus on the second ski and doing a motorcycle engine swap?

Do any of you know someone local or close to Myrtle Beach SC willing to work on 2 strokes?

+1
    Post also on pwctoday. Mostly 2 stroke guys there.

Repair or replace the 800 with the same engine and avoid the headache of the 1200 swap its not that bad but its not that great either and like you said the 1200 66v is crap for reliability. Most people that contact me for a repair usually dont need a whole lot mostly issues stemming from neglect and no preventive maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Strokes>2Strokes View Post
    I was going to be low key, get these things running, present them to my daughter for her birthday (bc she loves the water) and see all of my friends next year on the water.

With that being said... I bought these two skis not running. They are twins... 2001 Yamaha XL800s apparently 2strokes.

I've had 2 mechanics say they are too busy bc other mechanics stopped working on skis, one mechanic Jon Hallman
    referred to me is the only one that has helped me but says they don't do work on 2 strokes

On to the second ski... I want one running at all times. I want to do a motorcycle engine install on the 2nd ski. Doesn't matter what engine although if I'm going to do a motorcycle engine i want it to be insanely fast and I am partial to SUZUKI. Guy told me you'd have in the range of 200 to 300 hours of labor making that work.... so I am calling out ALL OF MY FRIENDS IN MY NETWORK to help me make this happen.

I will have both of them wrapped (prolly do it myself) in detail envy attire and if I can figure out insurance both of them will be available to my clients and maybe even FOR RENT to the general public. I'm less than a mile from Waccamaw River and less than 2 miles from the ICW.

So in short.... I'm asking for help, knowledge, BS ideas, your network to my network, I have cash, I have Credit, we can trade work for work etc

I Just Want These Skis Running For My Daughters Enjoyment, Your Enjoyment and My Enjoyment.

Ryan
    Detail Envy
    Myrtle Beach SC

+1
    referred to me is the only one that has help
    ed me but says they don't do work on 2 strokes
    If these guys choose not to work on 'Skis, why do you feel the need to come here and trash them?

This is a REALLY BAD idea. Insurance will kill you. No point in fixing these things up because your customers will trash them. You'd be better off learning fiberglass repair.

Ryan
    Detail Envy
    Myrtle Beach SC

So, you're asking for people here to come and work on these for you? So you can come back and trash them if you're upset for some reason?

C'mon, man!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    If these guys choose not to work on 'Skis, why do you feel the need to come here and trash them?

This is a REALLY BAD idea. Insurance will kill you. No point in fixing these things up because your customers will trash them. You'd be better off learning fiberglass repair.

So, you're asking for people here to come and work on these for you? So you can come back and trash them if you're upset for some reason?

C'mon, man!
    I think his username is all that needs to be noted here...buys a pair of non-running 2 strokes not knowing how to work on them and then feels the need to name drop two mechanics when things don't go his way. Seems like the kind of guy anyone would want to do business with...

+1

Ryan
    Detail Envy
    Myrtle Beach SC

You need to keep in mind 2 strokes are getting harder and harder to find mechanics that know what they are doing to work on them. I know this because I'm one of them and hear it from every single customer on how hard it is to find someone. I live in a rural area and keep a month or more long waiting list from March-October. Granted I work a full time job so I'm not spending 8hr days strictly working on skis all week. But I do work 3-4hrs every weeknight all season on them. I don't know of a single powersports dealer around me that would even touch a 2 stroke ski (or 4 strokes older than 10yrs for the majority of them) and know only maybe a couple people near me who work on them aside from me.

So a 1200cc non-power valve engine WOULD drop right in place to the 800 mounts as they share motor mount geometry. The non-power valve engines are generally more reliable then the PV engines. However, 1200 NPV vs 800 PV horsepower/engine weight is pretty close and you might not see much change in performance doing the swap.

Swapping a suzuki motorcycle engine into any jetski would be....intensive to say the absolute least and I would bet it would take even more than what you were quoted in hours. Same for just about any motorcycle engine. You would be better off attempting to swap a newer supercharged ski motor in as they are probably putting out more power anyways. But you would be hard pressed to get one to fit in that hull without some major work. If it was the XLT hull it wouldnt be as bad as they were larger and the 1200 PV motors share Yamaha 4 stroke motor mount geometry.

You are best off to just rebuild the engines and do all the typical mods/fixing. Waveeater clips, new oil lines with Oetiker clamps, genuine mikuni carb rebuilds to oem spec, ect. Then run the skis and what you chose to do with them is on you.

Personally if I was to seriously get into the rental world I would get a mid 2000s VX110. Super dependable and getting on the cheaper side of the spectrum these days.

2 strokes are super easy to work on, if you have a basic tool kit and a decent machine shop you can keep them forever.

Get your self a shop manual, I can send you the pdf if you want, some YouTube for visual learning, and an overhull kit.

Thread Information