+1

2008 GTX LTD 215 Pump Removal - Do I Need the drive shaft support bracket??

HI,

I have a 2008 GTX Limited (215) and it's got fairly low hours, but I want to pull the pump, inspect impeller, grease, wear ring, etc as I haven't done maintenance to that yet. Fresh water machine.

I see there's a suggestion/instruction to support the Drive Shaft when the pump is out (per the shop manual).. using part 529035986.. to avoid oil seal damage..

Is that necessary? (and any clue what year's that applies to as I have a '17 WAKE 155 as well)..

The pump might be out for a couple weeks, as if I need to change the wear ring, I'll need to order that and an impeller tool if the impeller needs to be removed.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Johnny K

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you do not want to buy the bracket, which is inexpensive you can prop up the driveshaft with styrofoam blocks. The bracket is suggested if you have to move the ski around when the pump is off

Pro Tip: Take the service manual advice seriously, ignore it at your own risk. Keep in mind there is sometimes more then one way to obtain the objective mentioned in the manual.

No reason you couldn't cut some 1/4 plywood to the correct configuration either, if your time isn't worth much.

The driveshaft support is $25, and since you have more then one ski...why not?

if time is an issue amazon has it for a few bucks more.

I wouldn't try to move a ski from the inside of the shop to the back of my yard without the shaft properly supported with either the actual bracket or a good reproduction

What would happen in the worst case scenario? Because I moved my 2006 RXP from my home to my work with the pump off and just a ratchet strap around the driveshaft to keep it from coming out on the road. It seems to be ok but I want to know if I likely screwed up my splines or something. I'm replacing the driveshaft, carbon ring, bellows, etc anyway.

+1
    worst case scenario?

damage to the PTO oil seal and the resulting loss of oil...and maybe it won't happen right away either....

and it will be a slow leak, you might not get an oil pressure alarm till the oil is nearly empty and engine damage ensues

the issue is the angle the driveshaft can attain when the pump is out and the resulting stress on the PTO seal/bearing assembly

People can do what they want, I tend to follow the book as I'd be on the hook for whatever repairs are needed under certain circumstances

I take this particular one serious and support the driveshaft thru the inlet grate with a 1x2 BEFORE I actually pull the pump

Best practice doesn't cost much, ignoring it can cost plenty

5. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the valuable input!. There is a possibility that I'll remove the pump and move the ski into storage, so I'll score the bracket. Appreciate it!

Johnny K

7. +1 by:

+1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	you-have-rxvn7l.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	468568  

9. +1 by:

Thread Information