1st Ski Purchase - Ultra 260X 2009

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing lots of reading on this forum (Brilliant amounts of info).

Looking at purchasing our first ski for the family (just want to explore and do some tubing with the kids). This model keeps coming up and I have what appears to be very good condition used one in my budget to go pickup tomorrow.

The current owner is the only owner 2009 model, Kawasaki 260x, 180 hrs, fully serviced, very reliable, its always been serviced by a local Kawasaki dealer, and he is providing a copy of the full history.
    I guess I'm asking is there anything I should check and ask the owner. They are happy to take it for a water test.

I've grabbed a copy of the manual which appears to cover most of what needs to be checked. A couple of mates have said stay away from "any supercharged" older models......reading the threads here seam to indicate if its been looked after it should be fine. Just really dont want to buy a lemon that's needs a few $$$ thrown at it.

Cheers in advance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca177 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I've been doing lots of reading on this forum (Brilliant amounts of info).

Looking at purchasing our first ski for the family (just want to explore and do some tubing with the kids). This model keeps coming up and I have what appears to be very good condition used one in my budget to go pickup tomorrow.

The current owner is the only owner 2009 model, Kawasaki 260x, 180 hrs, fully serviced, very reliable, its always been serviced by a local Kawasaki dealer, and he is providing a copy of the full history.
    I guess I'm asking is there anything I should check and ask the owner. They are happy to take it for a water test.

I've grabbed a copy of the manual which appears to cover most of what needs to be checked. A couple of mates have said stay away from "any supercharged" older models......reading the threads here seam to indicate if its been looked after it should be fine. Just really dont want to buy a lemon that's needs a few $$$ thrown at it.

Cheers in advance.

pre 2010 had some head cracking issues which seem to be limited to skis that ran in cooler waters. Pump bearings absolutely need to be replaced and upgraded without fail. And the ogura supercharger needs to have bearings replaced and a good overall inspection. These are just some basic items. All supercharged skis are going to require more maintenance. As you’ve probably seen on this forum, factory servicing means very little unless you get a really good tech. The supercharger absolutely must be fogged after every ride and the ski must be flushed with salt away or similar after every ride in salt.

3. +1 by:

+1
    ......First ski???
    ....for the family and tubing??
    ..already has 180 hours??

For starters, a supercharged ski is a terrible idea as a "first" ski.......unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Tubing.......they're high strung enough without the added load of pulling. 180 hours is a LOT for a supercharged ski. I've rebuilt a couple with less hours......cracked pistons. Just had an Ultra 310 in here with a broken piston a month ago.
    My opinion for a great family ski, find a nice Yamaha VX Cruiser with low hours.

5. +1 by:

+1
    I agree with both of the responses above. If you do buy this 'Ski, you MUST do the maintenance specified by dcuhpw. However, I would also agree with Myself that this is NOT the 'Ski for a first time rider, nor is it a good choice for tubing and general family use.

In my opinion, the UNsupercharged Kawasaki Ultra LX is an ideal 'Ski for your use. We have a couple that we let just about anyone ride. Very smooth, stable, plenty of storage, good performance without the high speed of the supercharged models. Watch out for the Yamahas with the nanoxcel hull, cracks are a common problem.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    DONT !!!!!!!!!!!!! no further input required

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    DONT !!!!!!!!!!!!! no further input required
    Waz is back!

Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    pre 2010 had some head cracking issues which seem to be limited to skis that ran in cooler waters. Pump bearings absolutely need to be replaced and upgraded without fail. And the ogura supercharger needs to have bearings replaced and a good overall inspection. These are just some basic items. All supercharged skis are going to require more maintenance. As you’ve probably seen on this forum, factory servicing means very little unless you get a really good tech. The supercharger absolutely must be fogged after every ride and the ski must be flushed with salt away or similar after every ride in salt.
    Thanks for the reply's. I should of said this is my first Jetski for the family, not my first jetski though.

it has had the Jet pump, housing, prop, bearings, seal, oil & filter and plugs all done.
    S/C belt looks to need replacing.

Im kinda okay around an engine - just not alot of jetski works) Just want to get my head around all the maintenance.

Cheers for all the replies
    Last edited by Macca177; 11-01-2020 at 04:27 AM.

Well we grabbed the ski anyway. thrown 15hrs on it already and running great. The ski seems to be brilliant, hopefully it stays this way

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca177 View Post
    Well we grabbed the ski anyway. thrown 15hrs on it already and running great. The ski seems to be brilliant, hopefully it stays this way
    Nice! Glad to hear it.

Thread Information