Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

99 Genesis Engine noise

Ok guys. I apologize again for inundating the forum the past couple of weeks. I just got back from the ramp. I went to listen to the engine on this new to me 99 Genesis in the water Just put the new plugs in earlier today.

The backstory is I am new to jet skis. I just bought a 2000 3 weeks ago for $600. Then 1.5 weeks ago found this 99 to match for $1000 that came with a complete parts ski. I thought I could surely use these parts in the future. In my mind I paid $700 for a running ski and $300 for future parts. I have plenty of room to store the parts ski behind the barn. Only thing wrong with the parts ski is the pto cylinder has low compression. Otherwise it turns over and everything.

I did test drive this ski for about 10-15 minutes and it seemed to have plenty of power.

Having said all of this...does it sound like there is a knock in this engine? It was rebuilt 30 hours ago with SBT parts according to the previous owner. They did replace the driveshaft as well as the thru hull bearing. The 2000 isn't near this loud. https://youtu.be/tLD4RcEq8Zw

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201028_133736.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	468519  

+1
    just because the previous seller says something was done...doesnt mean it was...usually means it wasnt. Also sbt parts are junk, a knock can be multiple things..failing rod, failing crank...loose piston....for sure the engine is failing

*** after watching the video that sounds terrible, id stop running it....it also looks like your thru hull bearing and seal are also bad

Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    just because the previous seller says something was done...doesnt mean it was...usually means it wasnt. Also sbt parts are junk, a knock can be multiple things..failing rod, failing crank...loose piston....for sure the engine is failing
    I agree. all 3 cylinders have 120 PSI but it doesn't sound right that's for sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WKUalum View Post
    I agree. all 3 cylinders have 120 PSI but it doesn't sound right that's for sure.
    *** after watching the video that sounds terrible, id stop running it....it also looks like your thru hull bearing and seal are also bad

if the compression is good then i would say failing lower end

only other thing id try is pull the pump off and see if it still sounds like crap

+1
    Maybe a wrist pin? Do check the jet pump first.

+1
    I would optimistically check the pump first and see if that's the problem, but I think there's something wrong with your crank or bottom end and it's just a matter of time before it causes serious damage. There's a good chance that if the seller is not lying, they had SBT rebuild the crank and it is about to blow. SBT is usually not very good quality, most of their stuff is pretty hit or miss (their rods seem to be ok). But if that was an SBT crank, I would bet there are Chinese bearings in there and they're already coming unglued. That engine noise sounds like metal hitting metal.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Maybe you need to adjust the valve lash

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Maybe you need to adjust the valve lash
    lol, it does sound like that (but it's obviously not).

Thanks again for all the comments and advice. I left the seller a message stating my concerns. He was a super nice guy and I am somewhat hopeful he may consider giving me my money back. He still owes me titles and a parts ski and I still owe him $200.

So far it seems most of you think lower end. What's a new/reman crank cost? What am I looking at here in terms of tear down cost? I guess there would be some hope of using parts (or an engine swap) out of the "parts" 99. I really wasn't looking for a project (at least this big) as I have enough of those around my house.

I had a pit in my stomach all night last night. Seems I am always learning things the hard way.

+1
    It's not that bad. At $700 it's still worth it, not as great as the $600 deal but those don't happen that often.
    During the summer,running Genesis sold for an average $2000.

Id pull the heads off, wiggle the crank around to try and feel for the noise.
    To me it sounds like its at the piston, could be as simple as an incorrect sized piston during the rebuild.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information