Can I reset my hour meter on my gp1800?

wanna ask if it is possible to reset my hour meter if I can what's the procedure to do this
    my gp1800 has over 300 hours on it bought it on destination motorsports didn`t know how to read hour and I bought it
    but for a 2018 GP1800 for me is to much can I lower the hour on it?

It sounds like you voltage starved the MFD during power up (because the small electrical box ground wire was not connected). The MFD then failed to complete its internal start-up cycle (LCD locked at 8888 ).

Then you boosted MFD supply voltage to full battery level by connecting the small ground wire to the battery.

I might just experiment with a variation of that technique

If I had a working MFD to experiment with...

We know the MFD does have a method of deliberately resetting the hour meter to zero using a series of button presses, but so far nobody has been willing to tell us what that is, exactly.

So it makes sense that a micro-chip crash (there is a tiny micro-controller CPU inside the MFD) during power up might fail safe to resetting everything, including the hour meter.

I suggest you check whether the voltage display on the MFD is accurate. Sometimes the MFD needs a CAL cycle to correct an inaccurate voltage display.

Question: How long was the MFD locked up before you connected the small ground wire to the battery?[/QUOTE]

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where were the MFD related paragraphs from?

A Yamaha WaveRunner forum or somewhere else?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Where were the MFD related paragraphs from?

A Yamaha WaveRunner forum or somewhere else?

sure sounds like a Polaris mfd

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo1408 View Post
    wanna ask if it is possible to reset my hour meter if I can what's the procedure to do this
    my gp1800 has over 300 hours on it bought it on destination motorsports didn`t know how to read hour and I bought it
    but for a 2018 GP1800 for me is to much can I lower the hour on it?

It sounds like you voltage starved the MFD during power up (because the small electrical box ground wire was not connected). The MFD then failed to complete its internal start-up cycle (LCD locked at 8888 ).

Then you boosted MFD supply voltage to full battery level by connecting the small ground wire to the battery.

I might just experiment with a variation of that technique

If I had a working MFD to experiment with...

We know the MFD does have a method of deliberately resetting the hour meter to zero using a series of button presses, but so far nobody has been willing to tell us what that is, exactly.

So it makes sense that a micro-chip crash (there is a tiny micro-controller CPU inside the MFD) during power up might fail safe to resetting everything, including the hour meter.

I suggest you check whether the voltage display on the MFD is accurate. Sometimes the MFD needs a CAL cycle to correct an inaccurate voltage display.

Question: How long was the MFD locked up before you connected the small ground wire to the battery?
    [/QUOTE]

now why would you need to lower the hours on the runtime meter I wonder....

the only way I know how to do that ( and I've been asked at least a dozen or more times) is to buy a new Display. then sell the "old one" on ebay

still gonna cost you a couple of hundred USD

now why would you need to lower the hours on the runtime meter I wonder....

the only way I know how to do that ( and I've been asked at least a dozen or more times) is to buy a new Display. then sell the "old one" on ebay

still gonna cost you a couple of hundred USD
    Is it stored in the display module or the ECU? Somebody told me it's stored in the ECU and the display just reports it.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertoyz View Post
    Is it stored in the display module or the ECU?

Somebody told me
    it's stored in the ECU and the display just reports it.
    The ECU and the dash display each record the running hours, separately. The dash hour counter cannot be reset, as far as I know.

On an FX it can be reset, but maybe only by a dealer. I bought my FX as a "Dealer Demo" with .7 hrs on it. When I got it home I noticed the maintenance meter read something like 2 or 3 hrs. After some phone calls and questioning it turned out the engine had failed and been replaced under warranty....ended up getting a 5 year warranty and some extra $$ off the deal. Anyway the point is that somehow the dealer was able to reset the hour meter but forgot to reset the maintenance meter which was probably showing the real time on the unit. Would be interesting if anybody has two HO's or two SVHO's to swap ECU's and see what the dash display does.....keep the same or display the hours of the installed ECU.

Thread Information